40-50 sq feet maple flooring

allen levine

this is prefinished flooring from lumber liquidators, 3/4 inch, 4 inches wide.

would this be a bad choice to plane off the finish and use for projects like drawers and/or cutting boards?
(probably have to plane off an 1/8 to get the grooves on bottom off)

Allen, No actual experience, but I've read that factory prefinished floors have silica additives that make them tough and possibly hard on your planer blades.

Last edited:
I tried some old chestnut flooring I got free before, really rough on the blades. I think I didn't get 20 bd ft of wood planed before the knives were trash in my ryobi planer. It could have been because the older flooring had a lot of dirt ground in, or might have just been the coating on it. The flooring didn't look that bad though, no noticable dirt and not really scratched or anything. I just built shop stuff with it and left the finished side like it was. Could you plane the bottom, and leave the as finished side like it is for drawer sides?

planing the finished surface seems to be zero problem for me.
It comes right off.
Is the maple from the flooring too soft for a cutting board?
Too unstable for a drawer side?
I dont know how they process all this flooring and I know it expands and contracts because I can see the difference on my floor the past few seasons.

well, I had 600 or so sq feet of new maple flooring installed in early 2010.
pipe broke to the washer, flooded 2 of the rooms 2 weeks ago, so Im going to have a new floor installed again.
same maple flooring, just gonna take a hit of losing my deductable and ofcourse the repair work.
Insurance companies have it down to a science, they just punch in your zip and the material, and the labor costs and material costs come out, and its pretty much spot on.

Just used up a batch of birch, hickory, and left over cherry flooring. Planed it all down and now it's cutting boards.:thumb:
Had some left over maple from my kitchen that ended up in the mix some how.:dunno:
Oh and ya remember that mahogany decking that followed me home one day? Yup you guessed it cutting boards for some of it too.:thumb::thumb:

Last edited: