Thread: N/E Ash bowl number 2

N/E Ash bowl number 2

This is an ash ne bowl 9ins high x 7ins wide,finish is do and wax.
    The two ne bowls were turned wet to 1ins thick at the top and 3/4ins on the bottom. After rough turning they sat at 24% moisture content, they were then put in a dish washer kiln with a 100 watt light bulb. In 7 days they were taken out and moisture content was 7%. After sitting in my home for 3 days they were finished turned. From rough turning to finished bowl took approximately 12 days. The dishwasher kiln idea is from Russ's corner at Badger Pond. When I turn wet wood this is what I use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd NE Ash bowl.jpg  
    "Every day's a school day"

That is one nice looking bowl. I am going to have to look up that kiln. Sounds like it works well.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a very nice bowl! Great shape and form! Have never heard of a dishwasher kiln. Sounds logical though!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Nicely done, John. I do like to turn ash.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you for your comments.

Bernie I have tried ash, oak sycamore yew,beech,birch and cherry in the kiln with end grain coated with 50/50 pva/water mix. The cherry warps quite a bit, the beech warps but not as badly. So far the other woods have minimal warping
    Jonathan sometimes I need other people to explain the logical
    Vaughn I like ash too but was having tearout every time I tried turning it I was able to have a day with pro turner Tony Wilson who came to my home and he was able to correct some of my tool techniques and helped me cope with the tearout.

Just found out as I was writing this my friends sister is in a coma in hospital......What a start to a day
    Last edited by John Ryan; 09-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
    This is an ash ne bowl 9ins high x 7ins wide,finish is do and wax.
    The two ne bowls were turned wet to 1ins thick at the top and 3/4ins on the bottom. After rough turning they sat at 24% moisture content, they were then put in a dish washer kiln with a 100 watt light bulb. In 7 days they were taken out and moisture content was 7%. After sitting in my home for 3 days they were finished turned. From rough turning to finished bowl took approximately 12 days. The dishwasher kiln idea is from Russ's corner at Badger Pond. When I turn wet wood this is what I use
    That's nice... I keep trying to talk my wife into letting me take the dishwasher out, put a nice cabinet in place for her with more drawers and then I can use the DW for a kiln... there's only two of us and in the 9 years we've owned the house the DW has never been turned on... don't think it works anyway.. I think the plumbing has been taken out.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    John great piece. I've never been any good at being able to get the bark to stay on.

Chuck after 6 months of gentle hints my wife went into the kitchen one morning and our three(adult) sons had left their dishes from the night before decision was made their and then. 30 min later it was in the workshop for modification

Stephen I put that done to the drying and most of all..........luck

John, great NE and thanks for the reminder of the dw kiln. I read that a few years ago, but forgot all about it. I might have room in the garage for one soon....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website