Buffing System

Dom DiCara

As my health gets worse, I have been trying to learn turning. The days of me making huge desks and dressers are nearing an end I fear.

As I learn the craft, I took note that I could never get that High gloss finish I wanted.

Enter the buffing system. I was looking at the Bealls System that attaches to my lathe, but it was a little pricey for what it was. I found the PSI on Amazon and it was about $50 less but looked like the same product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CVJBYE

It works great. Out of the box it took about 5 minutes to put together, and I was up and running. Comes with the 3 wheels, labeled for us us novices, Tripole, White Diamond and Carnuba wax. A #2 MT Rod, and all of the washers and nuts.

Bottom line, it works great, and the shipping was next day for $4.00 since I am a Amazon Prime member.

And for under $60 with next day shipping, you can't beat it.

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 31
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 35
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 32
  • photo (4.JPG
    photo (4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for mentioning this Dom. I bought the same unit some months ago but still haven't taken it out of the box. I guess I haven't been turning much.... :(

But, just last night I made a couple of pocket / purse mirrors. I briefly thought of the buffing system, but didn't want to risk having the delicate pieces yanked out of my hands while buffing. (Need I have worried?) :dunno:

Anyway, you've inspired me to (find and) dig out the buffing system and at least set it up. Maybe that will push me to turn some stuff that will need buffing! :thumb:

I don't do a lot of turning but I have a buffing system and it really works well to put a nice shine on a turning. I've even used it on small flatwork.

The materials used in the buffing do not grab the work so, if you're careful, you won't get it pulled out of your hands. The thing that can happen is if you're trying to buff the edge of something, you want to always be buffing "downhill" so you don't get the edge caught.

Vaughn can probably give much better comments since he does a lot more turning.

Mike

Mike is 100% correct. My students and any student near the buffer has to wear a shield! The better the polish and shine, the slippery it gets then BAM!!!! it bounces off of the wall back at them!:eek::doh:
Downhill, think about not presenting the item to create a catch. So buff a few pieces of junk first and it is a pretty quick learning curve, just about the time you think you have mastered it though, :eek::huh::huh:BAM!!!!!!:(:doh::huh::rofl::rofl:

I hadn't seen the PSI setup, Dom. Congrats on the new addition to the arsenal. :thumb:

My personal preference is to not use the carnauba wax at all. Instead, I apply Renaissance wax by hand (after the tripoli and/or white diamond), then use the "wax" wheel (with no wax on it) to buff the Renaissance wax after it has dried. I found that carnauba wax is real bad for showing fingerprints and water spots. Renaissance wax is much better on both counts. ;) If you want to try (or have already tried) the carnauba wax, you can remove it from the wheel by carefully holding a hacksaw blade (teeth towards the wheel) across the spinning wheel to "rake" off any wax and get down to clean buffing wheel material.

Dom, neither Amazon or PSI have much detailed info or pictures of this item. I am looking to adapt it for use without a lathe. Could you possibly post a couple pics of both ends of the arbor if you get a chance. I am wondering if I could turn one end to mount in a drill press chuck and capture the other end in a bearing mount of some kind.

Dom, neither Amazon or PSI have much detailed info or pictures of this item. I am looking to adapt it for use without a lathe. Could you possibly post a couple pics of both ends of the arbor if you get a chance. I am wondering if I could turn one end to mount in a drill press chuck and capture the other end in a bearing mount of some kind.

No problem.....wait a bit till the LOML wakes up so I can get her to take a pic

Here you go Glenn

Attachments

• Buffer End.JPG
    Buffer End.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Buffer other end.JPG
    Buffer other end.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 12

Glenn, you could simply use a piece of all-thread. Put one end in the chuck, and the other end in a hole (a divot, actually) in a board that's clamped to the drill table. A dab of grease in the divot would keep things moving easily enough. I think bearings would be way more than you need.