Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walker Turner 14" Bandsaw

Walker Turner 14" Bandsaw

Here is the walker turner bandsaw that I just finished restoring. I completely disassembled, cleaned and painted it as well as putting new tires on it and recrowning them. I made a factory inspired art deco base for it. The saw was missing the step pulley on the motor so I rigged the motor on a movable mount. The handwheel at the bottom of the base will move the motor in or out of the base to align the pulley with what ever size I want to be on on the step pulley. I got a 1/2" bladerunner blade from Iturra design as well as a 1/4 6tpi. The bladerunner is an awesome blade, I can resaw veneers so thin that I couldn't even see them, or at least so thin that light shines through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0237.jpg   IMG_0240.jpg   IMG_0181.jpg   IMG_0189.jpg  
    Last edited by Dave Black; 09-18-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Wow! it looks better than anything new in its class.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

What an amazing machine you have brought back to work! I have never retired a bandsaw and did not know you had to "crown" a new tire. Great visual piece of equipment with the paint job!! Love the racing stripes.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Great job, It looks better than new
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That looks beautiful, Dave. The details on the base really fit in well with the design of the saw and paint scheme. Great job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very nice restoration
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

nice save of a retired machine
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Smile Re: Walker Turner 14" Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    Here is the walker turner bandsaw that I just finished restoring. I completely disassembled, cleaned and painted it as well as putting new tires on it and recrowning them. I made a factory inspired art deco base for it. The saw was missing the step pulley on the motor so I rigged the motor on a movable mount. The handwheel at the bottom of the base will move the motor in or out of the base to align the pulley with what ever size I want to be on on the step pulley. I got a 1/2" bladerunner blade from Iturra design as well as a 1/4 6tpi. The bladerunner is an awesome blade, I can resaw veneers so thin that I couldn't even see them, or at least so thin that light shines through.
    I got one, and it is heavy! Cast iron and no vibration. I really like mine, but it don't look nearly as good as yours. Good job!

Old Woodie
    Jim Evatt

I got one, and it is heavy! Cast iron and no vibration. I really like mine, but it don't look nearly as good as yours. Good job!

Old Woodie[/QUOTE]
    Jim Evatt

Question

Hello all,

New member here. I found a Walker Turner 14" band saw for sale and need some help before I make an offer on it. The serial number on the saw is 9BS6390 which is a Model MBN935 14" Metal band saw if my research is correct (see image). So here are my questions:

1. Could this saw be successfully used as a WOOD cutting band saw? I understand that the speed at which the saw blade travels is critical between wood and metal cutting and this saw appears not to have a step pulley, at least on the top side of the belt. I cannot see by the picture if there is one at the motor end.

2. Assuming the metal band saw has the same rise as with your wood cutting models, what is the maximum resaw height?

3. Do any of you have a ripping fence installed and if so where did you get it? Of course I could always fashion one.

4. The owner wants $ 350.00 for the saw. If in good running condition is that too much to pay?

Now I love old machinery and don't mind paying that for solid iron and stability with little if any vibration. I can do without all the frills and the main thing I want a band saw for is to resaw lumber. So answer that question based on that even though you guys probably found your saws in the dumpster!

Many thanks for your help and please respond as soon as possible.

PS I will later post a picture of my Silver Manufacturing 36" band saw I got a couple years ago but have not gone through it yet. Massive at about 1,095 pounds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	70071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WT Band Saw 9BS6390.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	70072