REcent scroll work (New House Number Plaque plus...)

Ned Bulken

Last weekend's scrolling project, finally finished and hung up:
b32bc9a0.jpg

here it is in progress;
6fabc155.jpg

47ac0d39.jpg

my trusty old delta scroll saw... and my current shop mess:

6e6207d1.jpg

oh, and one more from two weekends ago:
e2888bf7.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Ned.....What size blade did you use the the ornaments?

My daughters want some for Christmas this year to hang around the house

Dom, Those were about a #2... just some blades I picked up at sears, which were listed by tooth count, not 'size'... I prefer Flying Dutchman blades, they do a cleaner job, but these were 'handy'.
I bought some more down at woodcraft the other day, I prefer #2 or 2-0 for general use, a #5 for thicker stock. I like skip tooth and 'reverse' blades as a rule, these were 'regular' simple blades... Olson I believe.

Dom, Those were about a #2... just some blades I picked up at sears, which were listed by tooth count, not 'size'... I prefer Flying Dutchman blades, they do a cleaner job, but these were 'handy'.
I bought some more down at woodcraft the other day, I prefer #2 or 2-0 for general use, a #5 for thicker stock. I like skip tooth and 'reverse' blades as a rule, these were 'regular' simple blades... Olson I believe.

Thanks Ned...that helps a lot:wave:

Dom,
Flying Dutchman are 'the' blade as far as I'm concerned, but you have something else to make ornaments with yaknow... just chuck up some skinny pieces on the spinny thing, and make 'icicles' while practicing ogees, etc... I'm planning on some of that next 'weekend' (sun/monday) when I get home.

Good job Ned! what next? I've got the plans for a wood clock but as I haven't got a power scroll saw I think that my perpendicularity at cutting by hand is not good enough for the pinions and mechanisms.:(

Great job Ned. :thumb: One of these days I need to invest in a good scroll saw and give it another go. We had an old B&D growing up that worked a lot like one of those vibrating weight loss machines. :) Lost my taste for doing scroll work quick.

Dom,
Flying Dutchman are 'the' blade as far as I'm concerned, but you have something else to make ornaments with yaknow... just chuck up some skinny pieces on the spinny thing, and make 'icicles' while practicing ogees, etc... I'm planning on some of that next 'weekend' (sun/monday) when I get home.

Great idea Ned....Thanks a bunch. I am checking into designs as we speak.