Thread: Going plane crazy

Going plane crazy

I dunno whats got into me but i since i got hooked on Derek from Perths site and the links to all the plane makers.

Here is one that i think has some good ideas i dont know if they quiet his original idea but i quiet like the idea of a tote at the back end of a wooden coffin type plane sure beats the old fashioned coffin bottom type back end.

This is one i would like to have a go at making. Will allow much more controlled chamfering.

I picked up a nice slab of european beech just for the job to try out a few of these planes.

The bug to make tools has got me tight.

I dont know about furniture but certainly love the idea of a little metal work mixed with woodwork.

Check this guy out using copper to make a wooden plane with dovetailed together copper side and sole.

Oh i am itching to try something like this. I gotta get some copper or brass. Will have a look when i am out this week around here.

I am thinking that the metal from old dewalt planner blades can be recycled into something like a moulding plane blade what you guys think?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I dunno whats got into me but i since i got hooked on Derek from Perths site and the links to all the plane makers.

Here is one that i think has some good ideas i dont know if they quiet his original idea but i quiet like the idea of a tote at the back end of a wooden coffin type plane sure beats the old fashioned coffin bottom type back end...

I picked up a nice slab of european beech just for the job to try out a few of these planes...
    Rob,
    That plane is often referred to as a "Razee" type plane. A Stanley #35 transitional is a good example of this type, and the #35 is one of my most favorite planes.

That Euro beech ought to make a very good plane body. It'll be quite a challenge to work with, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Rob,

I guess I spent too much time around airplanes. I was half way thru your post before my brain shifted gears and you made sense.

I guess I must have had a procedure. Anyway I don't remember anything about it.

Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Well Jim, I was on the same plane (air that is) you were on. I for the life of me couldn't figure out where a DeWalt planer blade fit on a scale airplane! I had Brent's post in the back of my head evidently.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Heck it is all just a plain as the nose on your face if your brain wasn't hydroplaning. I could hear the slosh all the way from here.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart