I completed my first "pocket" mirrors on Friday, getting two from a single 3/4" thickness of scrap. I used double-stick tape to mount the blank to a waste block on a faceplate.
I misjudged the parting tool placement when I cut the first mirror frame off of the blank, which left me with almost too little thickness for the second one ... after which I inset the second mirror deeper than I intended. In fact, I couldn't bring myself to pull the second piece off of the double-stick tape; I was afraid I would break it. Instead, I parted a thin slice off of the waste block ... and peeled it and then the tape off of the workpiece.
I wish I knew what kind of wood it is; don't remember where or how I picked it up. The fresh shavings were quite red....
FINISH: One coat of General Finishes' Royal Finish.
This last pic is for anyone who's curious about the photo background. It's just a 4-year-old chunk of straight-off-the-chainsaw sycamore.