A new turner's attempt....C and C please

You're off to a great start, Dom. :thumb: As has been said, oak is not a real cooperative wood on a lathe, especially for a beginner. I think you'll find you like maple much better.

Critique-wise, you're still at a point where you're experimenting with tool techniques and form ideas, so I'm not going to worry about some of the finer points. In general, I'd suggest working on trying to make your curves continuous from one transition to another. For example, on the first piece you showed, the curves between the finial at the top and the stem at the base have some flat spots to them. In contrast, the second piece has more flowing curves, especially in the body of the piece. (You can see a slight break in the curve in the collar on that second piece, though.)

The little bowl in the next two pictures has a very nice curve...your best of the bunch here. The last two pieces go the other way and show unevenness in the curves from top to bottom.

As you get more experience and look at the work other turners do, you'll get a better feel for spotting things like broken curves or uneven transitions. Once you can see them, you can begin to chase them away from your own pieces. :thumb:

All that said, you're off to a great start. Carry on! :D

I see all of the points you made and never would have noticed them unless you pointed them out. And that is a good thing!

I am still having trouble sharpening and tuning my small spindle gouge. Which was used in the areas you mentioned. I am going to buy the Black hawk rig this week and that should help a lot.

Thanks Vaughn...the critique means a lot to me.

If I wanted to get a "glass finish" which product and procedure do most of you use?

Really nice turnings out of some wood that isn't the easiest to turn. I have turned quite a bit of oak but bad words are said as I turn some of it.:rofl: I use minwax antique oil in the red can, wipe on poly, and if I want a shiney glassy look I use Deft Spray lacquer in the can.

Really nice turnings out of some wood that isn't the easiest to turn. I have turned quite a bit of oak but bad words are said as I turn some of it.:rofl: I use minwax antique oil in the red can, wipe on poly, and if I want a shiney glassy look I use Deft Spray lacquer in the can.

Thanks Bernie......just the info I needed as well:thumb: