(part 1 of 5)
This is a project that I worked on earlier this summer. I will document progress here using extracts from my weekly journal.
2011, June 12:
A few Years ago, my brother-in-law Jeff Barker suggested that I replace the set of windows in the middle of the north wall of the cabin at Pellow’s Camp with French doors. Here is a marked up photo showing where the doors would go:
I have decided to go along with Jeff’s suggestion. The main reason is that this will require fewersteps which will be much easier for my wife Margaret who is experiencing mobility problems. The other thing is that it will encourage us to use this part of the island.
Yesterday, I ordered two, mostly glass, fir exterior doors from Madawaska doors. Here is a photo of a door similar to the ones that I ordered
A I ordered just the doors, so it will be necessary to build the frame on the spot. It is going to be at least three weeks before the doors are ready. I am counting on them being available in four weeks. To that end, I have a suggested to Jeff that he come with me to camp to work off the 3.5 days that he owes me (Jeff and I have had a work exchange arrangment going for about 30 years).
As I said, I am counting on the doors being ready, but even if they are late, I would like to go to the island when planned. Knowing the exact size of the doors, we could cut out the window and logs below it, build the frame, and make a small landing and steps (and probably a ramp).
2011, July 3:
I picked up my French doors in Barry's Bay this week on my way back to Toronto from Ottawa:
The Madawaska Valley is gorgeous and I very much enjoyed to trip. It ended up being only 60 kilometres longer than the 416 to 401 to home route.
2011, July 10:
My other project this week was the French doors for the cabin. I didn’t start that until Thursday and am still not quite finished. I need to finish tomorrow morning and early afternoon because I want to get the trailer mostly packed by tomorrow night.
The first (and very tedious) step was to place masking tape on both sides of 30 windows:
The manufacturer claims that each door should have a minimum of four hinges. I have never attached a door with four hinges before but, then again, I have never paid $700 for a single door before either. I decided to use stainless steel hinges and screws.
The Carey router jig that I use to cut door hinges mortises is intended for use with three hinge doors, but I easily figured out how to adapt it for four hinge use:
I temporarily installed the hinges using regular screws –because I have found stainless steel screws sometimes break off when driven into new holes, even when pre-drilled. I will use stainless steel screws when actually mounting the doors.
This was followed by a lot of sanding. The molding hand sanded using Lee Valley profiles and Norton 150 paper. The rails and styles machine sanded to 220 with Festool Duplex linear sander:
A coat of Varathane oil-based Pecan satin was applied in order to add a bit more colour:
2011, July 11:
This morning, I put a coat of spar urethane on the doors: