non leaky skylights??

larry, this thread and the sunlight one are really buggin’ the bejezus outta me.

holy smokes frank you better go lay down you worked overtime on this thread:thumb: see i havnt given any more info casue i aint got my head straight n t yet just ask steve:huh: but thanks for all of your input.. i think the fact on the skylights and extra heat was enogh to change my mind... the tubes need more attention now ,the arts mulder idea of the bathroom made alot of sense. in michigan we get alot of cloudy days sometimes self inflicted and i dont need to be starin at the stars:)

larry, this thread and the sunlight one are really buggin’ the bejezus outta me. The only real data you have given us thus far about your proposed shop is that it may have a six in twelve pitch truss roof. The only questions you have asked are which corner has the best light for finishing and what are the best skylights.

Since you have not been very forthcoming with us, I will respond in opposite kind:::!

1) Orient the ridge of your building 15° east of the E/W line.

Regards,
Frank

Hmmmmm.........:huh: now I've drawn on my early experience as a survey party instrument man, draftsman, and then further on, many years and thousands of hours reading maps, plotting courses and then chasing compass and Directional Gyro headings all over the world, but even after all that, you've got me "Bumfuzzled", Frank. Maybe it's kinda like the "Theory of Relativity" or somethin', 'Cause I sure can't figger out how orient a Ridge 15* East, of the East/West line. :dunno: :huh: :dunno: I guess you'll just have to draw me a picture on this one. :wave: :D :rofl:

Larry, I noticed in one of the posts that they mentioned not recommending skylights because of the glare/bright spots from the sunlight, so I will just throw this bit of info out for educational purposes. In my shop (roughly 25' x 32' in the main shop room) with the 32' ridge line oriented pretty close to East/West, we installed 4 frosted white fiberglass panels instead of the metal roof sheeting in those areas. I really wanted 5 panels but there was a problem with that spacing and the structure so the 4 panels were all located on the south half of the roof and there is "NO Glare" from the sun and the whole shop brightens up much like described by those using the solar tubes. I'm guessing that the frosted panels I selected is what difuses the light, but I knew I didn't want CLEAR panels because of the Glare that would have been there. I doubt that my panels are anywhere nearly as energy efficient as the solar tubes, (for heating/cooling purposes), but they were MUCH CHEAPER.:rolleyes:;) :D

One other thing that probably makes the light pretty even in my shop is that I do not have a dropped ceiling, so the whole roof, (sheet metal or fiberglass panels, fiberglass insulation w/moisture barrier, chicken wire to hold insulation in place), so the Roof is also the ceiling, and the light difuses from there. I like the big skylights in my shop, but I would like to use the Solar Tubes in some other applications I've had in mind for a long time.