Walnut Box

Ron Roase

Just another box,but some different changes for constuction. After cutting the 45% corners I cur a slot a 1/4th" down from both top & bottom and fit a tounge from each top and bottom into the slot. So everything is all grooved togather.
A 45% chamfer along the bottom edge of the box gives a shadow line when it sits on a table. The top also has a 45% chamfer around its edge. A maple lift in the front to raise the top. 24 maple keys give strength to the corners and give accent as well. A couple of wooden hindges work well to open and close the top as well as accent the back of the box. Also a lift out tray with a divided storage under the tray. A walnut raised heart on the lid, I was going to inlay it ,but thought with the top raised it would be best to do an aplikay instead.

Walnut Box.JPG

Wooden Hinges.JPG

Open with tray.JPG

Tray removed.JPG

Compartments under Tray.JPG

It is always fun trying to think up new additions to ad to the box. The walnut was a piece of flooring as was the maple. would like to get more of that Walnut flooring, really nice to machine.:thumb::D

Ron, that is outstanding!!!:thumb::thumb::clap::clap:
I really like the contrast, the fit the finish as well as the raised heart and removable trays. That is something I need to make for my daughters for Christmas. Thanks for the push to try to duplicate this on some type of scale.

Nice box and you had me fooled on the inlay. I think you getting ready for valentines day and we aint had Xmas or Halloween yet.;):thumb:

Cool hinges that just topped it off for me.:)

Nicely done :thumb:

I like how walnut contrasts with lighter woods without being garish. Been meaning to do a project myself with walnut and ash. As soon as I can find the time....