Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Did We Get THESE in LA?

When Did We Get THESE in LA?

Here's a photo of a little friend LOML killed on the kitchen floor a couple of mornings ago. This is the underside...she put the newspaper on it before she stepped on it. This sucker was a couple of inches long, even with the curled tail.

None of the neighbors recall seeing scorpions in our neck of the woods. I'm sure not walking around the house barefoot for a while.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

GLOBAL WARMING is real!!!

Ouch Vaughn! That must have been quite the surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    GLOBAL WARMING is real!!!...
    Well, to be fair, Los Angeles was a desert before Mr. Mulholland decided to bring water over the mountains and into town. Maybe the desert creatures are just taking it back.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Well, to be fair, Los Angeles was a desert before Mr. Mulholland decided to bring water over the mountains and into town. Maybe the desert creatures are just taking it back.

Global warming myths aside. You are right Vaughn, not only in your area but many other places to. Animals are spreading their territories, moving to others, leaving others.... Just another episode in this planets evolution. Life coping with changes in its environments. Although I would think you would see it a bit more in your area as the only land mass linking North and South America comes right up to your back door and accross to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post

Global warming myths aside. You are right Vaughn, not only in your area but many other places to. Animals are spreading their territories, moving to others, leaving others.... Just another episode in this planets evolution. Life coping with changes in its environments. Although I would think you would see it a bit more in your area as the only land mass linking North and South America comes right up to your back door and accross to Texas.

I know what you mean. Every Saturday night I see pink elephants
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Bob you need to stomp your feet flail your hands and scream "Get away from me" every ten minutes. Ive been doing it for years and there isnt a pink elephant within a hundred miles of me. (I thought they were further away until you had the sightings... )

Vaughn,
    We had several scorpions in our house & yard in Tustin, when I lived there, and also at my former workplace in Irvine, so they're not anything new to the area - just new to you.

BTW, the semi-transparent ones like the one you pictured have a painful sting, but they're not as nasty or dangerous as the black ones.

BTW, did you know that scorpions glow when you hit them with blacklight?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Don't have a clue about your scorpions or how they ended up in someone's kitchen.

We had some scorpions imported here in bundles of mesquite that were destined for some steakhouses. Darn things apparently are able to survive our climate and are showing up in increasing numbers.

By the way the first mesquite I was able to get for turning came from the warehouse where these scorpions were originally found. When the bundles would break they just threw the wood away. A friend asked me if I was interested in some of it and I said sure. So he would bring me the more sound straight log sections. It turned like a dream and has become one of my favorite turning woods. To date I have not seen any scorpions spin out of a chunk.....
    Last edited by Mike Stafford; 09-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Vaughn,
    We had several scorpions in our house & yard in Tustin, when I lived there, and also at my former workplace in Irvine, so they're not anything new to the area - just new to you.

BTW, the semi-transparent ones like the one you pictured have a painful sting, but they're not as nasty or dangerous as the black ones.

BTW, did you know that scorpions glow when you hit them with blacklight?
    I have heard about the glowing scorpions but have never seen it except in pictures. I also have been told that a scorpion that has just undergone molting does not glow. Only when the exoskeleton hardens does it glow.

Attached is a picture of a glowing scorpion.

P.S. Did you know that the more times you hit a scorpion with a shovel the flatter it gets?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails male-centruroides-flavopictus-uv.jpg  
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    bob you need to wear a differnt pair of jammies on saturday night then
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!