Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Place

This Place

Well it was brought to my attention that this is something to one and not the other..

This PLACE called a forum is a piece of network air that allows us to speak and show actions in many differnt ways.. some feel that it is part of there physical and social familiy and there fore take things more serious in it.. others feel its just a pass time to take up the spare time we have after other things are done. and really dont care about the ones involved as much as some do or did. so why do you participate in this? and what are you looking for? are you treating it as family or as a piece of net work AIR.. in our radio waves the FCC have some stringent regulations for the use of it. here they have a few broad ones that were set up as quide lines and there have been some that feel these arent sufficient and others feel they are to stringent.
    so if we go back to the keep it simple rule. if you dont like the smell of the smoke coming from the camp fire then we can go and set on the other side and watch just as those who dont mind the smoke..

so in conclusion: if you want to care about how things and thoughts are being dealt with here in this forum, great if you want to just drop in and not take any responsibilty or show any caring for things in this forum than that is fine to.. its just some network AIR that some have found a way to share.. in many differnt ways.. it will continue to be what you or i make of it , no more or no less.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Well said, Larry!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

as for me..

Up till about 2 1/2 years ago it was a nice place to visit, learn a few things about tools and woodworking, and a pleasant place to hang out. The mood was even, flamers and nasty people seemed nonexistent (unlike some other forums I used to visit) and even the most amateur of us found constructive advice offered without any malice. It was a nice place.

Then, as happens to so many others, life took an unexpected turn.

It was then I realized that this was more than just a place on the web to hang out and learn a little. It was a place filled with real people with real compassion. People not just willing to give advice, but willing to put themselves out to help another. I had an opportunity to meet, in person, about 25 members of this forum. I said I'd be in a specific area on a given day, and the invitations just rolled in! Not just casual offers either. Real, open hospitality. So many offers, in fact, that I had to refuse some - in spite of how difficult that was.

Yes, it's a place in the air someplace. Ethereal. But the beings that populate this place are some of the most down to earth real people it has ever been my pleasure and privilege to know.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well put Larry

Me I use it both ways I have made many new friend here (Family) and learned and benefited from many things here (Networking)

This forum is just what you make of it. I have been fortunate to make and meet many new friend because of this Forum that I would never have met otherwise and am a better person for it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

for this ol burro...

i came to this place a handfull of years back, looking for advice for something that i now have forgotten, and have stayed to learn from everyone here, and help others where i can. i've learned to be humble, and not too full of myself (which can be dangerous, as i have to fill out an environmental impact statement when it happens). i've had the pleasure of speaking to some of you on the phone, or via skype, and hopefully the pleasure goes both ways. i've met some with subtle humor (humour, just for you rob), and some who push though just the same, depite adversity, and some who have such talent, i just shake my head and say, wow. to me, this is almost like a virtual rendezvous, that takes the place of the rendezvousing i used to do. in rendezvousing, it's like one big, extended family. you have your in laws, and out laws, and of course, the odd cousins. i've learned a lot watching you guys, and gals, and hopefully i was able to contribute in some small way. now it's back to my nap, some of us have to work tonight. oh, before i forget, some of us here have been surprised by me, i have another in my sights.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I joined here a few months back and I'm glad I did. I have had the pleasure to meet many fine people here.
    I really enjoy exchanging ideas and offering what I can from my experience and learning from others more experienced than I am. There is a great camraderie in this forum and in the short time I have been here this is the closest I have seen to an open finger pointing argument and camps forming.
    It's sad actually because we all get a long great when we stick to woodworking. It's great to share a few laughs in the off topic area and such. As well as to be able to turn to people we have grown to consider good friends and/or extended family in a time of need.
    Once we work through this bit of disagreement I am looking forward to us all tipping something cold, giving each other a salute and getting back to what we enjoy most here. Exchanging ideas and learning from each other.
    I look forward to seeing this forum grow, and I think that the group build section is a great idea to help that come to fruition.
    So let's all pull together, celebrate our differences and do what we do best. Make giant piles of sawdust!

Party at Rich's house.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Party at Rich's house.
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Party at Rich's house.
    I'll fill the cooler and get the coals hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    I'll fill the cooler and get the coals hot!
    if it was spring time, you should watch what you wish for but your safe this time of year
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!