Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot deal on CR - Performax

Hot deal on CR - Performax

I had been watching a couple of other drum sanders on Craig's List for some time (I've been coveting Larry's in my dreams ) then this one popped up. At $400 it was too good to pass up - that's less 40% of the cost of new - and it is in great shape. Tried it out on some scrap and it seems to work fine. I'll test a few more pieces, check for parallelism, and then put it to work.

Sure wish I had a little more room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Performax sander 9-22-11.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	60127
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

Thief

You will love it, great tool to have when you need it. Great place to store stuff, when you don't
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you dont know what tool to buy next, then you probably dont need it yet.

Nice! Congrats Rennie!
    Darren

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. Robert Hughes (1938-2012), Australian art critic

SuhwEET!

I didn't know they made them in that color! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Rennie, I suggest you add a cheap ammeter to the drum motor. The old model units such as this had no warning you were going too deep (the new ones slow down the feed rate). When I hooked my ammeter to the motor, it allowed me to slow the feed rate as required to keep from popping the breaker or overloading the motor. It also allowed me to go deeper or faster to take advantage of the machine. My ammeter a good one, but check out this, which should be adequate.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-95652.html

The new model has a 4 inch dust port, which is barely adequate, so be sure you have efficient collection on the small port.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Wow...It's in great shape too!....Use it in good health
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

nice catch rennie. They do have a large footprint and its tough to just have it hanging around all the time using up valuable space.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    You will like it. I have a Delta model and I use it on about every project. I normally run everything thru after the planer to do a smoothing. After the planer I start with 150 and then the 180. I have done some rough stuff with 80 and worked up. It is also nice after panel glue ups to bring the panel flat.

Congrats, Rennie. I haven't been following the used prices on drum sanders, but considering the cost of a new one, it sounds like you got a great deal. And with a Leeson motor, no less.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've been looking for a deal like that for a long time. I really want one of those. Great catch Rennie
    So mote it be,