Thread: Well, Well, Well. Who needs it?

Constantine, MI

Well, Well, Well. Who needs it?

I have an antique maple bench I picked up over 20 years ago that has served me very well (no pun intended). However, it has a tool well that, for the most part, simply acts as a catch all and limits the amount of usable space I have to work on.

How many of you have a bench with a tool well? Does it serve a purpose for you? Are you primarily a hand or power tool user? Does it make a difference?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Reno NV
    That's one nice old bench Rennie, if it's the one I remember.

You always could just make a filler strip to fill it in. No damage and completely reversible....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Central NY State
    Rennie, I've had the same bench for over 25 years. Simple, bought at an auction. I've had a tool well, then took it off, then made a new one a few years ago, which remains on. It does get full of all sorts of stuff. Thing is, the stuff would be on the bench even more in my way without the well. I like it, but it isn't a necessity. It is good for holding a glue bottle, bench dogs, little things like that.

Delton, Michigan
    i think brent is on to something there,, would work great for a storage area of your go to chisels or a maybe a plane or two..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

MY bench has 4 wells the have trays in them...take out the tray and turn it upside you have a flat surface.

Works well
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    +1 on filler strip with a hand finger hole to lift it out.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-23-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke