Need help choosing a vacuum chuck

Jim Krager

I am looking at buying a vacuum chucking system and I have a Jet 1442 lathe. I would like to get any suggestions on systems that work with the 1442. I appreciate any input, thanks. :)

Jim, just about any of them will work with your Jet. I have this adapter and use this chuck.

Either or both the adapter and chuck can also be made pretty easily yourself. I know Stu Ablett has made some chucks, although I don't recall if he made his own adapter. I do know Chuck Beland made his own adapter. I'll have to see if I can find any write-ups he did about it.

Most turners use a vacuum pump to create the vacuum. I have a Gast pump that I got from SurplusCenter.com, although they no longer carry the model I bought. You can also use a vacuum generator like this one that runs on compressed air.

I hope this helps -

I'd buy the adapter and make the chucks, making the chucks is really easy.

Here is a >> LINK << to how I made mine.

You can make a bunch of them, like a LOT for the price of one store bought unit.

The only thing I'd add is that I would NOT use MDF for the base of the chucks, it is WAY too porous, and I used a LOT of CA glue to seal it up, I'd use some good Baltic Birch plywood instead, you will still have to seal the edges, but not like that MDF, it as like a sieve!

Try making a few yourself if you can, I think you will enjoy it :thumb:

Jim,
I did make mine by gluing sheets of Corian. then turning to the dimension. Take very light cuts cause it will blow up (it happened 3 times to me) I cut grooves for the rubber O rings to seat in.

Here's pics for you to see.

Click pic for full sizr.