New Woodworking show

Ned Bulken

One of my other haunts is the WWA and this was just posted over there. Gail O'Routke is a great gal, and a super woodworker. Fans of Woodshopdemos might recall her as one of John Lucas' lovely assistants. She has since opened up her own woodworking shop and even appeared on DIY's Weekend Warriors.
Thought you might enjoy seeing a possible new woodworking show, here's the press release:
My fellow woodworkers,

I am a TV producer and have created a new woodworking show for public television called Woodworking Together. It’s the first new woodworking show to come to public television in more than 10 years and features the very first woman to host a true woodworking show, Boston-area cabinetmaker Gail O’Rourke.

Our show is geared toward woodworkers of all skill levels, with a special emphasis on beginners.

Woodworking Together will premiere nationwide on PBS stations in January of 2008.
You can view the show’s “trailer” by clicking on the following link…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9199733913251364374&hl=en

[Sorry, this part was edited to remove a commercial solicitation, which is a violation of the Forum Rules and Code of Conduct. - Vaughn]

Also, if you would like your local PBS station to carry this program, please be sure to call them and say that you want them to carry Woodworking Together from American Public Television! Local PBS station information can be found at http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html.

Happy woodworking!!!​
edit: yaknow... I really ought to pay attention to the member lists, right Gail?

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent an email to our local PBS station in Jacksonville! :thumb:

Thanks Ned

DT

Great opportunity for you Gail. Best of luck with the series!
If you need any consultants or expert guests, you will be sure to find them around this place.

It'll be great to have another WW show on TV, especially one that is geared towards weekend projects - and hosted by someone as easy on the eyes as Gail! :D :eek:

Way to go Gail - great for you!

Gail, congratulations! From the trailer that I viewed, it looks like you will have a popular show -both informative and pratical.

If the Buffalo NY station (that's where we can tune in to PBS in Toronto) carries it, I will certainly be watching.

Yeah, what they all said. :thumb:

Congratulations, Gail. I'm sure it was intimidating the first time you had to talk to the camera. I hope the show takes off. Is it being aimed more at a beginner? That would be good, as it is great to encourage people in this hobby. It really doesn't take all that much to get started, and it would be good to encourage people to realize "Hey, I can do that!"

A few people here, and on other forums, have commented on it appearing to be similar to the NYW show. And I can sort of see that. However, I realize that this is only a trailer, and we don't really know what the full show will look like. But really, I'm not sure what people expect? You have an introduction, you talk about your inspiration for a piece, and you build the piece. How else would you do it?

I hope you outline different methods. Personally I would have built that blanket chest without most of those brads. All you really needed was to glue and clamp those trim pieces. There was no need for brads --- provided the person would allow the time for the glue to set. If you really wanted to get it done in a weekend, then yeah, you might have needed the brads to help.

best wishes, too bad I won't be able to see it. (don't get cable, and no PBS on the antenna here. Hey, see if your producer can sell it to Global or TVO up here in Canada! ;) )

...art