Another Vase in the Series

This is another vase my wife drew up and she calls it her tulip vase. It is elm dyed red and a maple base dyed black. 6 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" across. It is finished with 2 coats of shellac on the lathe and several light coats of rattle can lacquer.

Attachments

• Tulip Vase 1.jpg
    Tulip Vase 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 28
  • Tulip Vase 2.jpg
    Tulip Vase 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 22
Bernie, like Jay, I have commented on your two stars. This is another homerun. Man I am running out of terms to describe the unbelievable work you have displayed. Man you have stepped up and really created works of art. The dye jobs, you have my interest on them. Any hints on what to read or watch to learn some of your techniques? Would this dye work with corn cobs for different colored corn cob pen blanks? Excellent, excellent work Bernie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Jonathan the dye I use is Transtint dyes I get from Woodcraft. I thought heck I would just buy some red and green but now I wish I would have gotten 2 or 3 more colors but at the time I thought they were a little pricey at $18.50 a 2 oz bottle. But you can add this to most any finish from shellac to poly and 2 oz will make a lot of dye. Will make 2 quarts of dye which will dye a lot of turnings and it is light fast. I use like 2 drops in 2 oz of Denatured alcohol. When the dye is applied to the wood especially if I use two colors on the same side I use a spray bottle and spray it wet with DNA to get the colors to blend.

I got this pattern from and how to dye is from Cindy Drozda's Finial Star DVD. That is one excellent DVD as she takes you from the planning stage, turning the finial, turning the bowl and lid portion to applying the dye to the finish. I think I have watched this thing at least 4 times. It also had a PDF pattern that you can make a printed copy via the computer.

If she keeps this up, pretty soon your wife is gonna start wanting a commission on these. ;)

Another nice one, Bernie. :clap: