My First Finial Star

This is my first attempt at a Finial Star after watching Cindy Drozda's DVD once. After I was done I went back and watched it again. If I had it to do over again I would make the lid flatter and not quite as big around. Anyway it is cherry and is finished with that new General Finishes Woodturners Finish. Overall I like the finish pretty well. It does raise the grain so the piece needs sanding after the first application. I used 400 grit. The next 3 coats I sanded with 600 grit. The last coat I used 0000 steel wool. Then applied some Ren Wax. I applied it with a old T-shirt and just a small piece to wipe it on. The first couple of coats soak in pretty well. 5 1/2" wide and 6" tall.

Attachments

• Cherry Finial Star 1.jpg
    Cherry Finial Star 1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Cherry Finial Star 2.jpg
    Cherry Finial Star 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Cherry Finial Star 3.jpg
    Cherry Finial Star 3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 43
Bernie, if you were closer, I would be camped out on your doorstep wanting to watch and learn how to do this! That is tremendous!!!!!! I personally think the domed lid fits the profile of the inverted domed bottom. The finish looks fantastic!!!! Did you turn it with the wings already cut and did the air cutting or did you cut the wings out on a bandsaw after turning was completed? I like a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Jonathan I cut the star after the bowl portion was done and sanded. I marked the edges using the indexing on the lathe. 24 indexes which I divided by 4 to give me six marks. I then used a circle and marked the loop using the circle from one mark to the next.

That came out looking very nice, Bernie. I agree with you and Mohammad on the lid, but it's still a fine piece. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn. After it was done I sat there and looked at it. I just kinda wanted a idea of what I wanted to do on the second one as far as form which I think came out much better.