Thread: What can you do?????

Hybrid View

What can you do?????

Alright, been thinking about this for a while. Seems like everyone has so much energy, maybe it is the weather. Let's see what all of you can do with a 2X4 one foot long. Flat workers, neanders, turners, combos, what can you do with a foot long 2X4??????????
    Here is the deal. Everyone seems to have so much energy, let's put it to work. I am pretty certain all of you have in your shop or scrap bin, a foot long, yes, 12" long 2X4. What can you make from it???? One million toothpicks????? A jewelry box???????? A winged bowl?????? Two pens and something else?????? Do with it what you want. Cut it, turn it, plane it, stain it, router it, mill it, paint it. Make three items out of it. Make ten items out of it. Make the most of the foot long 2X4.
    Post that you want to participate. I will create the list below this post. We can all discuss how long we want to work on this project. This is Friday evening as I type this, let's try to have a group assembled and a decision on an ending date by this Sunday evening. People can still post their desire to participate and be added to the list, they just will have to follow the agreed upon date. After the determined date, photos will need to be posted of your completed project(s) from this 12" long 2X4. I will learn how to create a poll so all can vote one time for THE ONE most amazing use of the 1' - 2X4. Get it????? You can build whatever. You can build numerous items as long as you stay within the one piece of 12" 2X4. Can be left natural, can be painted or stained, can be whatever your heart desires (could even be a heart!!). Okay folks, put on your thinking caps. The question to you is, "WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A 12" - 2X4"?????????????????

So far this is what has been decided.

1. Just a hunk of borg pine 2x4.
    2. Yep, paint, stain, hinges, wheels, axles, enhancements are fine!
    3. The cut offs for making your project can be used to make more projects.
    4. I guess I am looking for: A-the quality of the project built AND B-the quantity of projects built. I am just interested in seeing what it is a hunk of 2x4 in all of our hands can become!!!! This is for pure unadulterated fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5. ALL of the wood on this project HAS to come from that 12" - 2X4.

Oh, I will send the winner a $50.00 bill.

Who's in????????

1. Brent Dowell
    2. Tom Niemi
    3. Ken Cook
    4. Jim C Bradley
    5. Bob Gibson
    6. Matt Ducar
    7. Ken Werner
    8. Rex Bloem
    9 Dan Noren
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 09-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Ok, I didn't even read the whole rule set yet, but I'm in...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Creative juices flowing, don't know here they are flowing but YES count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Ok, I didn't even read the whole rule set yet, but I'm in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Creative juices flowing, don't know here they are flowing but YES count me in
    Thanks for stepping in already guys. I think this has the opportunity to really see some interesting ideas from something simple and little to no cost. Brent, time for Sharon to get more shop time.

Let me know when you think would be a good time to post the final results. Before Thanksgiving? Halloween? Don't want it to long, but want it long enough to get some people back in their shops doing something. Heck it can even be a wooden truck for a grandkid.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Just a question, does the material need to be a piece of pine 2 x 4 (3 1/2" x 1 1/2") OR can we use an actual 2" x 4" x 12" piece of wood of choice just askin'

Can we say it has to be a 'nominal' 2x4x12 chunk of lumber?

So 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 12" ?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Ken you have unbelievable creativity. Not only in your ideas and execution but in your music making and video making.
    Very very well done.

Now we should be putting that video forward for an oscar.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

maybe ken needs to offer classes on creativity,, that one very fine example of making something out of nothing!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!