What can you do?????

2x4 Project

View attachment 62945

I used Visio and drew a 2x4x12 side view. I marked a grid so I could copy it onto the 2x4. If you look you can see some variations that I tried on the ends.

View attachment 62948

The 2x4 was sliced into two sections of different thicknesses. A sacrificial half-inch thick spacer section was also made. The sections were taped together with Rockler double tape. (Lesson inserted here: Do not let that tape stay on your wood for a few days. It really does not want to come off. It leaves difficult sticky behind. Had to use solvent. Had to sand the piece a bit thinner after using the solvent.)

They were taped together for the correct spacing for me to use a Forstner bit and drill the holes for the candle “glasses.”

View attachment 62950

This is the dry assembly.

View attachment 62951

This shows the parts. The stain and shellac have been applied. The little cylinders are the spacers that keep the parts apart. They are very old---as in the 1920s. I think they are made of some kind of paper and glue mixture. The surfaces that face each other are stained with a dark walnut stain and Transtint combination.

View attachment 62947

This is the final product on the Thanksgiving dinner table. This was done prior to food. I figured if food got on the table the candles would get eaten along with it.

Enjoy,

JimB

The little red feller is something my wife found when she was out shopping a couple days ago. We took it to MIL. I told Myrna that Jan would laugh her head off or she would completely disown the Bradley Family.

Last edited:
nice little project Jim, can never ever go wrong with any kind of candle holder.
Be careful though, because if family members start seeing it and you tell them, oh yeah, I just made that out of a piece of scrap wood, just a foot of a 2x4, then they all are going to ask you for one.(then ya get, oh, thanx for the candle holder, my cousin saw it in my house, and she loved it, so I let her have it, do you think when you get a chance you can make me another one, and if it isnt too much trouble, my next door neighbor really loved it also, Id pay you for the 2x4)

Those look great, Jim. :clap: The spacer idea for drilling the holes is a good one...something that can be applied to a variety of other projects.

BTW, I was able to figure out how to remove the extra photo from the bottom of your post. This new software version has pretty much all the same features, but some of them are harder for me to find in the new version. Once I get to where I know what I'm doing, I'm planning to write up one or two tutorials for various forum things.

Those look great, Jim. :clap: The spacer idea for drilling the holes is a good one...something that can be applied to a variety of other projects.

BTW, I was able to figure out how to remove the extra photo from the bottom of your post. This new software version has pretty much all the same features, but some of them are harder for me to find in the new version. Once I get to where I know what I'm doing, I'm planning to write up one or two tutorials for various forum things.

Gee Vaughn, I thought you had enough to do recently.

Enjoy,

JimB

They are all looking very good. Quite the variety for a piece of scrap!!!! I know you all aren't here to impress me, but the creations shown so far, have greatly impressed me with your imaginations and talents!! Kudos to all. Anymore out there ???????

Here's my contribution -- I didn't have the camera around for taking pictures of the work in progress though.

P1010096.jpgP1010089.jpgP1010095.jpg

I did verify that the corkscrew worked. After all, I couldn't submit my entry in good conscience without knowing it worked as intended :rofl::rofl:

Matt you are going to have to explain to the Old Guy On Device. I assume that most of you have figured out that I am a real alcoholic---A few glasses of wine or champagne a year (I even had to look up how to spell champagne).

Is the thingiebob with the hole in it something to help hold the bottle in the right position to pour when you are hung over from previous drinks?

I understood the corkscrew. Is the thing under the corkscrew a 21st century replacement for the cork?

I have the doggonest feeling that Cynthia is getting a case of giggles over these questions.

Enjoy,

JimB

Matt, very nice indeed!!
I like Jim wondered how the handle looked on the bottle tap, then realized it screwed onto the corkscrew (covering the corkscrew) thus creating a corkscrew and new wine bottle stopper all in one. I have seen those bottle holders, amazed by them every time, do they work at the same angle regardless the amount of contents (weight) in the bottle?