I used Visio and drew a 2x4x12 side view. I marked a grid so I could copy it onto the 2x4. If you look you can see some variations that I tried on the ends.
The 2x4 was sliced into two sections of different thicknesses. A sacrificial half-inch thick spacer section was also made. The sections were taped together with Rockler double tape. (Lesson inserted here: Do not let that tape stay on your wood for a few days. It really does not want to come off. It leaves difficult sticky behind. Had to use solvent. Had to sand the piece a bit thinner after using the solvent.)
They were taped together for the correct spacing for me to use a Forstner bit and drill the holes for the candle “glasses.”
This is the dry assembly.
This shows the parts. The stain and shellac have been applied. The little cylinders are the spacers that keep the parts apart. They are very old---as in the 1920s. I think they are made of some kind of paper and glue mixture. The surfaces that face each other are stained with a dark walnut stain and Transtint combination.
This is the final product on the Thanksgiving dinner table. This was done prior to food. I figured if food got on the table the candles would get eaten along with it.
The little red feller is something my wife found when she was out shopping a couple days ago. We took it to MIL. I told Myrna that Jan would laugh her head off or she would completely disown the Bradley Family.