work project

Drew Watson

Don't know how the pics are going to turn out as I took them on my cell phone, but here goes.

The story behind it is that I work for the school district ( carpenter) and was given a work order to build a set of permanemt stairs to replace the old rolling metal stairs in the community theater which is attached to one of our schools. I talked to the head of the department and he told me what he wanted and this is what I came up with. Everything is glued and screwed with double 3/4 inch stair treads and hand rails of 2x4 sheeted in 1/2 one side and 3/4 the other and lockable storage under the stairs. I built them in a way that actors can be using them during shows and there will be no sounds coming from back stage. As well they can get some small lights to iluminate the stairs without shedding lots of light back stage. I had a little hick up with the construction though as at the base of the stairs on the wall is a 200 amp main shut off that is so old I am told it is hard to get replaceement parts any more so it had to be boxed in.

See larry I still do flat work in a sence. :D

Oh and on another note got a good score yesterday while taking down an old covered walkway. 3x6 double tounge and groove cedar. Just had to remove the old tar and gravel ( came up easy) and have to pull the 8 inch spikes out that they used to hold it together when they built it some 50 yrs ago. will have some pics to add later today.

Attachments

• Phone pics 162.jpg
    Phone pics 162.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Phone pics 203.jpg
    Phone pics 203.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Yea I know it isn't exactly flat work but,this is about as close to flat work that I get at work. Most of the time it is just building landings,hanging doors, fixing windowsand roofs and setting up classrooms and portables. Oh yea and cleaning up after vandalism. Oh we just love the little darlings. :rolleyes:

It is a huge improvment to what they had been using before, but with the past budget constraints we have not been able to do lots of things before now. They actually didn't want me to go as over board as I did but they gave me no plans or drawings and just left it up to me to build what I wanted with a limited budget. Of course the budget was out the window once I involved the electricins and the welder (Old hand rail has to be cut out and a cage worked in for security).