Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rust removal???????

Rust removal???????

I just received a 197_? Rockwell 10" BS and it needs a lot of tlc. Cost for this bs, help rebuild a entertainment center. 1 peice of red oak 4/4x 6"x 3' and about three hours helping my buddy do this. I was suprised by the amount of plastic on this thing wheel covers and wheels are all plastic. The table has alot of rust(no major pitting). My idea was to remove it and use electrolises( sorry about the spelling) to remove the rust. Does anyone know the proper way to do this? I have a heavy duty battery charger 6,12 and 24 volt setting and up to 300 amps. I just need to know what if anything need to be added to the water and how many amps are perfferd for this use. Sorry for the bad pics.

Enjoy the project.
    Check out this link: http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm

Frank, Thanks for the link. I have to call sufolk on monday to order a new blade. Hopefully this wont take to long to get it going. Sat for 5years.

Al, here is another site to check out.

Cleaning with electricity.

Checkout Stu's drill press rehab thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Checkout Stu's drill press rehab thread.
    Yes Al, as well as threads by Jeff Horton, the Grand Master of Metal Tickling, also known as electrolysis.

Al the electrolysis really works well, and with the battery charger you have, you will be done in no time at all!

Here is the Kermit Thread

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Lots of information on electrolysis on the web and some on here. I have meant to do a write up on it and just never have. Stu covered it pretty well.

Looking at your table, I wouldn't bother setting up a tank. Many people cringe at what I am about to say but I have done it on many cast iron table tops. I take my Random Orbital sander and start with 80 grit cleaning the top. And thats it!

The rust or the cast iron dust or something in air combines with the 80 grit after just a couple of minutes and it start to removed rust and polish the top. It will leave it smooth as a babies bottom. It will not look shiny and new in most cases. It leaves a patina which I prefer on old machines. Keeps them looking like old machines. If you want shiny new, just keep changing out disks and work your way through the grits. With something as small as that top in way less than a hour you can have it good shape.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will try sanding it as jeff stated and see how it comes out.

Stu, I will try your method on some of the other parts I have that need cleaning. I really enjoy the way you used the lathe to clean the shafts.

Ken, Thanks for the link. I will add it to my list of info sites to read up on.

Al

Richard Smith Guest
    The milling marks, pores and what ever irreglarities in the surface will retain rust. A table saw is too big to go in a tank. Is there a chemical means of derusting?