Rust removal???????

Al killian

I just received a 197_? Rockwell 10" BS and it needs a lot of tlc. Cost for this bs, help rebuild a entertainment center. 1 peice of red oak 4/4x 6"x 3' and about three hours helping my buddy do this. I was suprised by the amount of plastic on this thing wheel covers and wheels are all plastic. The table has alot of rust(no major pitting). My idea was to remove it and use electrolises( sorry about the spelling) to remove the rust. Does anyone know the proper way to do this? I have a heavy duty battery charger 6,12 and 24 volt setting and up to 300 amps. I just need to know what if anything need to be added to the water and how many amps are perfferd for this use. Sorry for the bad pics.
BStop.jpg

BSside.jpg

Frank, Thanks for the link. I have to call sufolk on monday to order a new blade. Hopefully this wont take to long to get it going. Sat for 5years.

Lots of information on electrolysis on the web and some on here. I have meant to do a write up on it and just never have. Stu covered it pretty well.

Looking at your table, I wouldn't bother setting up a tank. Many people cringe at what I am about to say but I have done it on many cast iron table tops. I take my Random Orbital sander and start with 80 grit cleaning the top. And thats it! :eek:

The rust or the cast iron dust or something in air combines with the 80 grit after just a couple of minutes and it start to removed rust and polish the top. It will leave it smooth as a babies bottom. It will not look shiny and new in most cases. It leaves a patina which I prefer on old machines. Keeps them looking like old machines. If you want shiny new, just keep changing out disks and work your way through the grits. With something as small as that top in way less than a hour you can have it good shape.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will try sanding it as jeff stated and see how it comes out.

Stu, I will try your method on some of the other parts I have that need cleaning. I really enjoy the way you used the lathe to clean the shafts.

Ken, Thanks for the link. I will add it to my list of info sites to read up on.

Al

The milling marks, pores and what ever irreglarities in the surface will retain rust. A table saw is too big to go in a tank. Is there a chemical means of derusting?

The milling marks, pores and what ever irreglarities in the surface will retain rust. A table saw is too big to go in a tank. Is there a chemical means of derusting?

A sponge soaked in CLR and left to rest on the table top should work well.

I fix lawn and garden equipment for a living and sometimes we get an old machine with a rusty fuel tank which has yet to rust thru' and can still be saved. These can be expensive to buy, so we pour a quart of CLR into the tank and then just let it sit, turning it once a day so that a different inside face is soaking. It seems to work well for us.

cheers

To big??? :D Never say that! :rofl:

Electro+tan1.jpg

I built a tank for a one time job, the base of the my DeWalt RAS. Back my trailer up to the shop. Leveled it. Installed concrete blocks and some plywood scraps. Lined with plastic sheeting and WaLaa. Big electrolysis tank.

And your right if the pours or pits are deep. I ran into that on a drill press column with a rough finish. But normally that isn't a issue on machined surface.

Jeff

To big??? :D Never say that! :rofl:

Electro+tan1.jpg

I built a tank for a one time job, the base of the my DeWalt RAS. Back my trailer up to the shop. Leveled it. Installed concrete blocks and some plywood scraps. Lined with plastic sheeting and WaLaa. Big electrolysis tank.

And your right if the pours or pits are deep. I ran into that on a drill press column with a rough finish. But normally that isn't a issue on machined surface.

Jeff
Jeff
You are creative and they have done the same type thing for car and even tractor frames. There is no requirement that it is a permenant tank. The plastic is cheap and the wood can be reused for other purposes so it doesn't even have to cost a lot. The ground will work as well for the tank bottom as a trailer.

Garry

The ground will work as well for the tank bottom as a trailer.

Absolutely! Mine was just not level and I didn't want it in the shop. (Think draining the messy water). I need to clean a drill press column and will probably make a tank on the shop floor near the door. Since it is will only be 6"-8" wide, I figure I can drain it out the door easy enough.

There is a product called Naval jelly that is a rust remover. I think it is basically an acid product. It was many years ago I tried it but recall it acted more like a cold blueing than rust remover.

Well, I sanded it down with 80 grit then 100 gtrit and it took most of it off. It is now sitting in a tank. When I checked it was looking really good, so it should only take about 30 minutes or more. Thanks again for all your help in getting this going.

We are getting ready to close on some acreage we sold. I was out picking up tools and other items and found two very large wrenches that had been sitting outside for almost 15 years. I'm going to try the electro and yuckky water bit on them just for a beginners try.

Is there a chemical means of derusting?

hi there, yes there is a chemical means of derusting and very little work involved :thumb:

the stuff is called oxisolve rust remover.... its available from the fine folks at www.grizzlyindustrial.com . i was going to post a picture of the stuff,but i can't get it to work at the moment :eek: anyhow its about 10 or 11 bucks a bottle about 11 ozs. in a pump spray.

this stuff worked wonders for me and my scrollsaw . when i got it , the top had an 1/8th" of rust on it from sitting in someones wet basement . i soaked the table top and let it sit for 15 minutes , wiped it off with a towel and repeated one more time . no elbow grease nessescary ;)

it doesn't smell too bad either , its not perfume or cologne, but it aint bad at all.

now with all that said : i am in no way affiliated with grizzly industrial...... i tried it , i liked it , so i tell others about it :thumb:

i hope i didn't step on any toes here , i dont remember if i read a no posting about particular business stuff.. in the rules , if i goofed please excuse, and let me know so i wont do it again :eek:

Hi Jim,

Part of the reason for these forums is to tell people what's worked for you. I wouldn't worry about passing on product info if you aren't associated with the product. I for one much appreciate it! Thanks!