mahogany lingerie cabinet

I was thrilled with the drawer fronts, they looked fine.
The slides are working fine, without wax, but they will be waxed.
the second coat of oil was still uneven, seems this mahogany really likes to drink oil, so I gave it another coat, this time rubbed on. The pictures seem to have a white haze over the finish, its still wet oil and the bright light above.
The carcass still has to be sanded down with 400 grit and re oiled, then resanded, then one coat of gloss sanded down, then buffed a bit.
The pulls presented me with so many headaches I really dont want to talk much about them. From the time I routed the edges and saw how delicate a sharp edge would be, some chipping off, I knew they were going to be headaches.( Im not using the best router bits ofcourse, since my collection is so poor and alot of them I dont even know what brand they are)
I was about to go to plan B, which was a walnut plate with brass colored pulls, but my wife was thrilled with the pulls and said Im just way to picky.
I know shes being nice. Its a nice look, but the execution of installing the pulls went sour on me. I jigged it out. I clamped and jigged everything.
Ive installed at least 350-400 pulls/knobs, and never had one come out poor enough I had to rethink it.
Dont know what happenned. I thought it would be as simple as other wood pulls Ive installed with just wood screws, but this turned out to be my worst nightmare. The bottom pull as seen in some of the pics, I completely drilled through and had to patch it up.
I drilled wrong holes through one drawer front so off I had to patch it up also.(it wont be seen in back of pulls or if I junk this pull and put walnut plates and go with metal pulls)
Pull 3 and 4 came out a bit misaligned, again, I dont know why, it just moved when I attached them, the jig was the same for all six.
Anyway, the slight repair work I did on the dovetails are fine, there were two bad holes from when I placed the side walls on a dirty work surface, and they were dented, the dark walls help hide it a bit. I was hesitant to work too much on the spots because I figured Id mess it all up a bit more than it was already messed up.
So Im still taking batting practice in the minors, but I didnt let the pulls get me down. IM off that horrible medicine that kept me a prisoner for a month, and Ive dropped almost 30 lbs and feel pretty darn good.
Unfortunately, my health issues are directly related to my woodworking, cause it dictates how much I can do, and my nurse, suprisingly, is coming tomorrow to start my therapy, so the unit will have to sit until Wed or Friday.
Ill make the decision about the pulls by then. Im not sure if I can take my wifes word, she thinks everything I make is top notch.(blind love)
After this build, I can understand why high quality veneered plywood and metal pulls are the first choice for alot of cabinet makers.
and one other note while IM posting this long post-I want to thank those who had enough confidence in me to be a moderator, Ill do my best, but Im not going to post about my builds any less.

Attachments

• cabinet 029 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 029 (Medium).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 34
  • cabinet 040 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 040 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 30
  • cabinet 039 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 039 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 28
  • cabinet 037 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 037 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 28
  • cabinet 036 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 036 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 30
  • cabinet 034 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 034 (Medium).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 30
  • cabinet 033 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 033 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 36
  • cabinet 032 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 032 (Medium).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 33
  • cabinet 031 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 031 (Medium).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 33
  • cabinet 030 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 030 (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I think you have transcended to the next level Allen!:thumb: Listen to your Wife she knows what she's talking about. I get the same thoughts as you do sometimes and when I think something isn't good enough or look right I ask Norma and she hasn't let me down yet.

If you change the style of pulls that piece of fine furniture will have lost something.

alot of nice comments. I appreciate it. Its been 3 years for me with hardwoods, and Ive been inspired by so many of you here, hundreds of hints or tips, hundreds of questions answered by pms I was too embarrassed to post and received answers without judgement.

I know this piece is not going to win any awards.
I also know this place is filled with a bunch of great and kind people.
the piece has its flaws, I cant do much about if I dont change it.
My wife loves the piece, and it is for her.

I applied a coat this morning of waterlox gloss to the carcass only.
I asked my wife what she wants for a finish, and she prefers the shine.
I used a brush, not sure why I keep using a brush for oil products, they seem to go on smoother by wiping it on.
Ill probably sand it down, then rub on a light coat of gloss.

I redid the pull this morning also, and applied a light rubbed on coat.

Im hooked up already for the next few days so no more work with chemicals for me this week.

My son has offered me alot of time next week so Im going to purchase some type of insulation hardboard to tack up on the ceiling and also have him assist me in insulating the final wall and putting up the sheetrock.

I need this piece out of the garage and the finish room by weeks end, because I need to get going on new projects.

again,thanx for the kind comments.

btw-new projects after I stain 2 doors and start repainting and reflooring the finish room, will be a sliding closet door, radiator cover, tiny desk, small dresser/armoir to match the bed I made last year.

You'd think that a guy with a continuous stream of finished projects could find a photo to use for an avatar.... :rolleyes:

I vote for an image of this cabinet! :thumb: (For now, anyway.)

finished the piece

besides waxing the wood glides(after putting on oil on the inside and the glides, they work as close to perfect as I guess wood on wood will glide)
the unit is finished.
Wont put it into our bedroom until I redo the bedroom, so its going to sit downstairs for a bit.

I wanted to get a picture of how the last 2 coats of oil rubbed on and hand buffed came out. Its tough to get a clear shot with my camera.
But the coloring is even now.(as uniform as I will get it)

Ned-I only know about Mr. Krenov since someone mentioned an earlier piece and I looked him up. I assure you and anyone else, my design is completely my own and I would never insult the pure talent of someone like Mr. Krenov attempting to copy or use any of his design elements in my garage built furniture.

Attachments

• cabinet 042 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 042 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 24
  • cabinet 043 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 043 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 25
  • cabinet 044 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 044 (Medium).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 27
  • cabinet 045 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 045 (Medium).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24
  • cabinet 046 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 046 (Medium).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 21
Well, you may think it's just garage built furniture, but I think it's gorgeous. :clap: The pulls really make the piece, although the wide mahogany and the dovetailed carcass joints give the pulls a run for their money. All in all, it's one of my favorites of the pieces you've built. Thanks for taking the time to document it for us. :thumb:

Well, you may think it's just garage built furniture, but I think it's gorgeous. :clap: The pulls really make the piece, although the wide mahogany and the dovetailed carcass joints give the pulls a run for their money. All in all, it's one of my favorites of the pieces you've built. Thanks for taking the time to document it for us. :thumb:
I could not have stated it better.:thumb::thumb:

Ned-I only know about Mr. Krenov since someone mentioned an earlier piece and I looked him up. I assure you and anyone else, my design is completely my own and I would never insult the pure talent of someone like Mr. Krenov attempting to copy or use any of his design elements in my garage built furniture.

Actually my friend,
I was thinking that it resembled his works in its simple elegance and style. Whether or not you knew of his pieces, your work echoed some of his designs in its clean lines. Again, good job!

Absolutely wonderful. That is really a looker. The contrasting materials and the free form handle really make it a special piece. I would love some pics with the drawers open.

Last edited: