Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Scroll Saw Recommendation

Need Scroll Saw Recommendation

It looks like I'll have to buy a deep throat scroll saw soon. What would you recommend for a 22" or 24" throat length saw, to be used for marquetry?

I definitely want a variable speed unit. Beyond that, I'm willing to make tradeoffs for price. Once I have a couple of recommendations, I'll start watching Criagslist and eBay. But I could go new if there's some advantage to a new design.

Mike

[I have a 16" now and it's just not deep enough.]
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    It looks like I'll have to buy a deep throat scroll saw soon. What would you recommend for a 22" or 24" throat length saw, to be used for marquetry?

I definitely want a variable speed unit. Beyond that, I'm willing to make tradeoffs for price. Once I have a couple of recommendations, I'll start watching Criagslist and eBay. But I could go new if there's some advantage to a new design.

Mike

[I have a 16" now and it's just not deep enough.]
    I'll be watching this as it seems the choices are junk for 100.00 or spend 500.00 for the DeWalt or General. Nothing but the low end has shown up on CL here. I was interested in the Porter Cable at 180.00 but the reports haven't been good, plus it is only 16 inch. I have tried the RBI and really liked it but can't justify for my limited usage.

I don't know your budget but this is an interesting design....
    http://www.eclipsesaw.com/id1.html

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 09-26-2011 at 01:14 PM.

I have the DeWalt, and it's a really nice saw, but it's only a 20" throat. Other than that, it'd likely do everything you'd ever want.

I've tried, and played with - but never owned - the Hegner and an Excaliber, and both of them are also very nice. They're also over twice the price of the DeWalt.

The DeWalt appears to use the same pivoting arm mechanism as the Excaliber, but on the Hegner, the entire arm "C" assembly moves. I'm not sure what, if any, advantage one design might have over the other.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have the DeWalt DW788 and it works fine for me. I've done everything from some very small accent pieces to a sign with 3" letters. I don't do enough scrolling to count, really. But, I wanted a good machine and I caught this one marked down on Amazon several years ago.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I have used, but do not own, an RBI Hawk G4. Great saw, 26" throat, big price tag.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/reviews/h...croll-saw.html
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Mike, I have an old 16" delta, and the Dewalt is on my wish list, especially since I'm back scrolling again.
    -Ned

I have an Excaliber EX30 and its a great machine. It has a 30" throat. The machine cost me about $1,000 new seven years ago. Unfortunately these saws are no longer made in Canada so I don't know about the quality of newer machines. If you can possibly find an old one for sale, you will not regret it.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-26-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Mike, I have seen RBI hawk come up for sale on CL. You have to be very patient though.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. There's a Hawk 26", model 226, available used in the LA area for about $500. Any comments on that unit? What do you think: Good buy or pass?

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One of the first tools I bought (after table saw) was a Hegner scroll saw its what I used to start my business back in 86. I would run it for up to 30 hours at one setting and it still works today as well as it did back then.
    If I was looking for another saw I would look for the RBI I see them all the time in like new condition on Craigslist for $500 and less.

Stay away from the "C" Arm ( Delta) and look for the parallel arm saws even the cheap models of this type will work just fine (just wont last as long).

Jay

Oh Yea I sat at that saw everyday 7 day's a week for over 8 years.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.