Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn said, Do a Thread on That

Glenn said, Do a Thread on That

Hi,

Lowe’s Ducting (to my Griz BS)

I mentioned to Glenn that the hard DC ducting to my Grizzly BS was from Lowe’s. (This Excludes the 6in ducting going to the DC, blast gate and a piece of “stay put” flexable ducting). The stay put duct exits from a small box I made that fits under the table, right next to the blade. This 2.5in duct terminates in a wye going into 4in ducting that ends in the six inch going to the DC itself.

Anyway, Glenn thought some members might be interested. So here are the pics and a brief description.

The first pic is an overall view from the operator’s side of the saw. This shows the 4 inch duct terminating into the six inch main duct.

Attachment 60278

Second: This is under the table on the backside (away from the operator). The 15 inches of stay put ducting comes from a box I made. It is just under the table and held in place with magnets. Glenn saw this idea someplace and modified it for his Grizzly. I had to do it a bit differently since my Griz is slightly different than Glenn’s. It is amazing how well it works.

The stay put feeds into a wye. The wye consist of 4 in flow straight through with the 2.5 in feeding into the main air stream at a 45 degree angle.

Attachment 60279

Third: This shows the 2.5 inch duct into 4 inch wye, the blast gate and two 45 degree els. The two els make a 90 degree turn. Notice on the BS, just to the left of the motor, there is a 4 in opening coming out of the saw. This is to attach another hose. With this system it does not need another hose. In fact it is not even closed.

Attachment 60280

Fourth: This is an “aside” slightly off of the topic. This is a pic inside of the lower wheel cover. The sawdust in there has NOT been cleaned out. What is there is all that is there since the DC was attached to the BS several months ago.

Attachment 60281

Fifth: Meanwhile back at the Dust Collection Plumbing from Lowe’s. (Understand that any big box hardware/home store will have the same. So will places that sell to plumbers, landscape workers and others. I just happened to purchase it at Lowe’s).

This is the non-operator side of the saw and the ducting. Notice the standard 4 inch plumbing pipe and els. To attach a piece of 4 inch flex to 4 inch plumbing els, tees, wyes, etc. cut off a four inch piece of pipe and fit one end into the el. Two inches of the regular pipe fits into the fittings for 4 inch plumbing. The 4 inch flex will stretch enough to slowly fit it over the pipe extending out of the el. I doubt that it will work if it is cold.

Attachment 60282

Tomorrow night (hopefully) I will show pics of the small box that fits under the table next to the blade. I think the pics are good enough that most 17 inch Griz BS owners can make one. I say most owners because the design of the saw has been improving over the years. I made a mock up using cardboard from a box, blue tape, razor knife, scissors and a bit of patience. (the last phrase in that sentence will come as a surprise to Glenn and Myrna) If you need help PM me.

Attachment 60360

OK I added a pic. However you have to lay down to view it properly. Notice the piece of 1/8 inch thick plywood that was added just after the blade enters the lower wheel well. This is a Zero Clearance Insert so to speak. The dust carried down by the blade now goes through a small compartment and is moved out into the 4 inch duct. There is also a brush that wipes the inside of the blade in this compartment.

Attachment 60361

If you look at the thread "Glenn n JimB BS Total Dust Collection Solution" (or a name very similar to that) you will see what feeds the 2.5 duct just above that 4 incher.

Good night.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 10-04-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Looks like a great setup, Jim. Nicely built. Are you sure you weren't a plumber in your younger years?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks real good, Jim!

When I added permanent DC to my G0513, I used the top and bottom ports on the machine. I get excellent dust pickup, with the exception of a little bit in the area directly under the table. I like the way you adapted the 2.5" tubing to take care of that. I can see a modification in my future!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCS_11.jpg  
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

help me out here jim??? how does the side hole catch so much of your dust that you dont need the bottom hole and why is it still open? to me your not getting as much suction with that open
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Wow, Jim, pretty slick.

One thing... that is all fixed tubing, isn't it? So there is no moving that bandsaw? I just struck me funny that you've got a mobile base, but with the ducting you really can't move the saw.

I also have the "stock" two 4" ports hooked up on my Griz 5013. I'll have to open the lower door and check out how much dust is missed!
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

but art he isnt using the bottom one its just left open???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    help me out here jim??? how does the side hole catch so much of your dust that you dont need the bottom hole and why is it still open? to me your not getting as much suction with that open
    If you look at Jim's photo of the lower door open, you can see a deflector at the upper port through which the blade runs. That makes the upper port more efficient. I hooked up my lower port because it's there, so there's never any dust in the bottom compartment.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks for posting the pics Jim. I may incorporate some of these ideas in my shop.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Looks great dad.

P.s. No one doing a search on Bandsaw Dust Collection will ever find this thread. I would add some tags or add something to the title that will help others find this thread when searching in the future ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    If you look at Jim's photo of the lower door open, you can see a deflector at the upper port through which the blade runs. That makes the upper port more efficient. I hooked up my lower port because it's there, so there's never any dust in the bottom compartment.
    Quite true. I did that on my saw and added it for dad during a visit. I get about a teaspoon of dust per year in the lower compartment. I sealed off the lower port.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke