Safety switch inserts

On my mini lathes at school I had a student "flip" a yellow safety insert for the on/off switch into the dust collector. Obviously it is not in a useable form now. I for the life of me cannot find a source for the old yellow half round/circle safety inserts.

I have two small bench top bandsaws that are Task Force and they are the same yellow on/off key insert.

Last edited:
Sears used to have them. You can also make one from a piece of wood, plastic, or aluminum about an eighth of an inch thick. Just look at one of your good inserts, and make the prongs the same shape.

Years back, I made one out of some aluminum bar stock, and drilled it for a keychain. It's still in use at my brother-in-law's.

Jonathan,

You can make this a teaching moment.

Baling wire!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The same thing happened to my scroll saw when we needed an extra one at school. This is how I fixed it. (I think my farm roots may be showing;))

SafetySwitch.jpg

Ike

Last edited:
At this time, it isn't an emergency, once a lathe is running, I can fire up another and with the two bandsaws using the same type of key, I have an extra. I prefer to not show them the shortcuts at this time. I just have run into a dead end trying to purchase them and honestly they should be a common run of the mill item that is available.

Have you emailed the manufacturer? they may have them tucked away in a warehouse somewhere if they have moved on to a new design thus not showing them on their website any longer.... might be worth a shot.

Put in a work order for it and let the school maintence shop find the repair parts. That is how it is done here. If you post a pic of the part and machine Model# I can ask our machinest ( repair guru) if he can find me the part. :D