Burr Oak

Jeff Bower

This one is about 7" in diameter and 6" tall. The center bowl is ebonized with vinegar and steel wool mix and the rest is finished with my home brew danish oil. Comments and critiques are always a welcome thing. :wave:

I know it's pretty thick for most of you, but I've had a good run of selling similar pieces and....I might have an opportunity to make awards for an equestrian center's events next year. The owners, who are also friends, asked me to get some prototypes together for them. This is one of the prototypes. The 3 rings on the side and top represent their family of three. If they like them, I will also need to get crackin on my wood burning skills as they will want the event name burned into the rim of the pieces. I will also be showing them some platters, cutting boards, brush boxes, vases and more.

Attachments

• p_00424.jpg
    p_00424.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 45
  • p_00423.jpg
    p_00423.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 42
Nice looking bowl Jeff. Yes it is thick ...but it sits well on a table and somtimes you need to mix it up a bit.:thumb::thumb: I use burnt lines on tankards and goblets to signfy years for birthdays. Good luck with the awards hope all goes well:):)

Jeff love what ya do with these oak bowls.:thumb: Don't know how you keep them from cracking to pieces. everyone i've tried has gone in the wood stove.:eek:

I agree with Steve...this is another nice one, and I don't see how you get the oak to cooperate so well. I've had a grand total of one oak bowl that made it through the process without warping or cracking so much it became unusable.

Have you considered getting someone to laser engrave the event names?

Thanks for all the kind comments!

It must be the wonderful Iowa oak that loves to be turned. :rolleyes::D Believe me, I've had lots of oak split on me too...This piece was cut over a year ago and left in log form until last month. I split the log with the chainsaw taking out the pith and sealed the ends. Then I turned it last week and put it in a paper bag. Took it out and cleaned it up with a few light cuts, sanded, oiled all but the center and then ebonized that. Works probably 70% of the time. I've got enough oak to make those numbers work for me, plus I've sold lots of oak that has split and warped too! :D

Vaughn, I need to look into a local laser engraver and get some prices. Never thought of that. :thumb: