First Marquetry Project

I've done veneer work for a number of years, including geometric designs in veneer. But I've never done marquetery. Recently, I signed up for Paul Schurch's marquetry class in November in Santa Barbara. To prepare for the class, I got his DVD and followed the instructions to do a modification of the project on the DVD. It wasn't as hard as I though it would be but this is a very simple marquetry project.

A picture of the panel is below. I just have two coats of shellac on it, but I'll finish it with lacquer and use it as the bottom of a serving tray.

I'm looking forward to the class to gain more skill in this technique. I think it will open up a world of decorative possibilities.

Mike

[Unfortunately, the picture does not show the detail well.]

Attachments

• Marquetry-01b.jpg
    Marquetry-01b.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 51
Very nice Mike- I'm sure the details would make it even more impressive. Did you get his book and DVD? If so, any opinions on them?
I bought the DVD. It's titled Marquetry Volume 2 because volume 1 is on plain veneer work. You can see the DVD here.

where did you get the green wood or is that dyed mike?
That's dyed veneer, Larry. A lot of marquetry is dyed veneer to get the shades of color you want.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

Mike