Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Fox W1741 on CL

Shop Fox W1741 on CL

Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

I would not hesitate at that price get a call off to him/her asap before its gone. Need to inspect it to check on a few things but that can come before you hand over the $$

Oh Vaughn get the tailgate lift ready ...

Man you got a good eye where were you when i was buying tools. I could have used you for an agent.
    cheers

Mohammad here is the closest Grizzly version and Grizzly as i know it is the owner of the Shop Fox brand.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...ram-Beds/G0490

I would say getting it at half price is a real good deal looking at it in the pictures he has the fence off for some reason maybe to show the cutters.

Looking again i notice there is no drive belt that should be going round the pulley in the center and meeting up with the motor which should be in the cabinet under neath the pulley.

I would want to see that the fence is not damaged and that it still runs so it needs to be put together again. Knives can always be sharpened but a cracked or bent fence defeats its operational purpose. Same goes with the beds. They can be trued up and adjusted but you need to check they aint damaged. This is a look alike to the delta everyone likes.

Its got a magnetic switch which is a big plus not something that comes on every machine. Note that its 220v but mine is also. Its got a good 3HP motor so lots of heft and its plenty wide enough for a hobbyist.

Mohammad this guy looks like a dealer so be cautious. For him to let it go at that price he had to pick it up for way less. Could be a demo or a return he seems to be a shopfox dealer he has a few other machines for sale on the same listing.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 09-28-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    cheers

Thanks Rob. You have given me very good info.

I noticed too that he was selling other Shop fox items and I had the same suspicions as you.

Looks like there's some assembly required, and I'd look closely to be sure all the parts are there and in good shape. Other than that, it sounds like one heck of a good price.

Shop Fox is indeed made by Grizzly, although their machines usually have a few upgraded items compared to the Griz equivalent. I've been happy with my Shop Fox bandsaw and mortising machine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm driving across country to get there before you
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I'd be more worried about the beds than the fence. Bring a straight edge to make sure they're flat. The jointer is adjustable so a small amount out of parrallel can be adjusted. I'm assuming the parts for the g0490 would fit the shopfox jointer, if so even buying the jointer and replacing the fence would still be a good price. I have the g0490X and love it, nice machine.

The top of the jointer is not on the base correctly. You're looking at the back side of the beds, but the front of the base if you look at the dust port and caster on the right. The belt woudln't even be able to be attached like that. It probably was either disassembled to move, or it has never been used possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    I'd be more worried about the beds than the fence. Bring a straight edge to make sure they're flat. The jointer is adjustable so a small amount out of parrallel can be adjusted. I'm assuming the parts for the g0490 would fit the shopfox jointer, if so even buying the jointer and replacing the fence would still be a good price. I have the g0490X and love it, nice machine.

The top of the jointer is not on the base correctly. You're looking at the back side of the beds, but the front of the base if you look at the dust port and caster on the right. The belt woudln't even be able to be attached like that. It probably was either disassembled to move, or it has never been used possibly.
    Jeb you absolutely correct. My apologies Mohammad i interpreted the image incorrectly.
    cheers

Good observation, Jeb.

I emailed the guy last night but haven't heard back from him.

I just don't have a good gut feeling about this and may have to pass.

Looks like the assembly manual is laying on top of the jointer, and from the parts shown, I'm guessing that jointer has never been assembled or used. You might well be getting a virtually brand new tool (like the bandsaw was!)

BTW, Battell's Hardware in Downey is (or at least was when I lived in SoCal) a Shop Fox dealer. I bought my cabinet saw from them.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!