Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahogany Credenza - Build Update - Done

Mahogany Credenza - Build Update - Done

I recently started a new project - real woodworking this time! No doubt, I'll get sidetracked with more landscaping or whatever, but for now I'm making sawdust. The main project is a credenza that will serve as an entertainment center in our family room. Your comments are welcome. Here's the overall design objective:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails credenza_fr_oa.jpg   Top_graphic1.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 03-13-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Updates
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Looking forward to following along, Bill.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

me to what are you using for your vacumn system? also what radius do you feel needs to be resin glue rather than TB II??
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-28-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    me to what are you using for your vacumn system? also what radius do you feel needs to be resin glue rather than TB II??
    My vacuum pump is a unit made for evacuating A/C systems. A friend who was downsizing sold it to me several years ago. I got all the information I need from Joe Woodworker and built what he describes on his website as:
    "Here's the monster press by Bill Arnold of Thomasville GA. Bill used a Robinaire vacuum pump to drive this excellent system."
    Two photos of my system are shown there.
    I attached them here - they're the ones taken outside in the sun. The third photo I attached shows where I now have it installed - in a corner of my shop near the ceiling.

As to adhesive, I prefer plastic resin glue for all bentwood project now. The container I had when I started these parts was old and wouldn't mix up properly, so I just used Titebond II. This project has a nominal 83" radius, so it's pretty soft. On the compass table I built, the apron is a 16" radius. I used plastic resin glue on it and had absolutely no springback when I removed it from the form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vp_1a.jpg   vp_1c.jpg   VacuumPump.jpg  
    Bill Arnold

I've added a little more to the journal on my website, but wanted to get your comments on the direction we're heading with the top panel layout. We have decided to put the flat screen TV on a wall bracket (when we get it in a few months) and use a more decorative veneer on the field of the top.

I have several pieces of olive ash burl veneer that I rescued from the dumpster at a cabinet shop a few years ago. I matched up some pieces to get the following:

I cropped the photo as follows:

Then, inserted the cropped image into the drawing for the layout of the credenza top:

The olive ash veneer covers most of the top. I'll use bubinga (or similar) veneer to create a sunburst at each end of the top with a narrow separator of mahogany.

The journal on our website is something LOML has wanted me to do for a long time. I usually take a few photos at various phases of a project but she wanted me to fully document everything it takes to create and finish it. It's mainly for friends and family who don't know what's involved but should be of interest to others as well.

I look forward to your comments.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 10-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Bill Arnold

As of today, I've cut and assembled the parts for the top frame and started milling processes for other solid mahogany parts. I'm also working on some of the veneered components such as the door panels.

I assembled the radius front rail of the top frame using biscuits and appropriate clamping. The radius is three pieces cut from one board for grain continuity.

The MDF substrate for the top panel veneer is pre-cut. I need to continue to smooth the radius edge, then cut a rabbet in the inside edge of the top rail assembly. I'll cut the rabbet to a depth equal to the MDF thickness plus the thickness of the veneer. After the MDF matches the frame perfectly, I'll attach the veneer to it.

Curved parts for the top apron and the door rails are formed and ready for final dimensioning.

One set of door panels has been veneered; the second set is in my vacuum press and will come out about 2pm today.

I started the finish process on a sample of sapele pomelle veneer. The photos show the difference between dry veneer and a coat of BLO/MS. After it cures a few days, I'll seal with shellac, then topcoat with lacquer. The final finish schedule might include a light wash of brown dye to tone down the pattern a bit.

More as it develops!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top_Clamps.jpg   Mah_Frame1.jpg   DoorPnl_Cut1.jpg   Sap_Dry1.jpg   Sap_Oiled1.jpg  

DoorPnl_VacPress.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 10-09-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Bill Arnold

Looking good Bill! Thanks taking us along with this project I'm really looking forward to its progress!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Wow. The veneer is awesome of course, but I really dig your work on the frame.

I agree with Kerry. The frame looks beautiful as does the veneer
    Faith, Hope & Charity