Mahogany Credenza - Build Update - Done

Beautifully done. This has been a wonderful tag-a-long thread Bill. Thank you sincerely for all the efforts; the time spent on that piece is certainly its own reward.

Last edited:
well done indeed, and am looking forward to see it in person.. thanks for taking all the progress shots as you went i know how that interrupts the work flow sometimes.. you and glenn have done outstanding well in that effort..

Looks outstanding Bill! :thumb:It's a good thing your new TV is so big, othewise anyone over watching the race wouldn't be able to move their eyes off your credenza! BTW, love the pulls you went with, no I don't mean the blue tape ones. :D

Beautifully done, Bill. :clap: Thanks for taking the time to document the process. :thumb:

Ya know, duct tape will hold up a lot better than that blue stuff. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Update (or would this be a downdate?)

After all of the careful attention to the nice veneered top on the credenza, my choice of top coat appears to have jumped up and bit me on the nose. The Gemini Coatings Pre-Cat Lacquer I wrote about in a seperate thread sprayed on beautifully, leveled out great and I really had little to do to rub it out. I let the panel cure a few days in my shop, then brought it inside to keep it out of harm's way. After 2-3 weeks, LOML noticed a little line toward one end and I thought I must have scratched it with something, even as carefully as I handled it in the shop and bringing it in the house. More "scratches" began to show to the point that it is now resembling a crazed finished. Not what I wanted or needed to see with this project! :doh:

When Larry arrived, I was waiting for him to make his way into our family room to see the credenza and some other pieces. When he felt the top, he kinda looked at me with a big question mark on his face! :eek: Fortunately, it appears to be only the very top layers that are affected, so the next step will be some light sanding to get it smooth again. Then, I'll let it rest a bit and see if additional sanding is necessary. I ordered some EM6000 Lacquer and EM1000 Sealer and plan to use that combination this time.

I'm open to any suggestions about the process.

Ouch. The finish gremlins have struck. Good thing the problem showed up before Larry or we'd blame him for bringing it with him :rolleyes:. Here's hoping the fix is relatively painless.

Bill the finished piece is excellent. Thank you for taking us along on the build. I learnt an enormous amount. Hope you get the surface finish problem resolved. Would have been great fun to have had it appear after Larrys visit, that would have been a good source of material to tease him with.