Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first lumber off the mill

first lumber off the mill

I didn't get any pics of the process, but here's a few pics of the results. I've had a small walnut, and several short cedar logs for about 1.5 years now. I threw them on the mill to practice and here was the results. I still have a lot to learn about milling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawmill lumber 012 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	60333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawmill lumber 013 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	60334

I cut a maple log this past weekend that a storm knocked down in a neighbor's yard. He gave it to me to get rid of it. It was that great white color that you would expect from maple.
    I have a question about the maple for all you wood gurus. I cut the wood last weekend and finished up right at dark, so I didn't get it on stickers. I flat stacked it into the truck bed and parked it in the shade. The next day it rained and I couldn't get it stacked that day. Yesterday I didn't get home until after dark so I couldn't get it stacked. Today when I finally got the chance to get it on stickers it had turned a red color. What the heck's up with that?

Name:	sawmill lumber 014 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	60335 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawmill lumber 015 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	60336

Looks like you got some good exercise too? Nothing like free wood!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

No, no, no! That's all wrong!

Send your mistakes to me quick. I'll hide them for you .

Looks like things are going very well john. Congrats.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I think the wood fairys came to you in the middle of the night and turned maple into mahogany?
    dont buy that one.........maybe because the woods been sitting around in the rain, rust?
    Human Test Dummy

never seen it get that red john,, i was told to cut maple preferably in the late fall or winter to have the sap down.. also to keep the white color it needs to be kiln dried pretty quick.. in hard maple the cream color is ok but in soft maple they like the white color.. its the sugar content i believe causing your color change,, just for grins take a shaving off one board and see if its whiter underneath,, like cherry does it get dark out side but is pink under it till the sun hits it..i havnt cut much maple but my sawyer is the one that old me the maple story.. and i so i went with his directions..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hey, it's that famous and hard to find red maple!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I am not a sawyer, but I have heard that storm downed trees are sometimes damaged structurally. Specifically tornadoes twist trees, breaking the fibers throughout, so the boards cut from that wood are internally stressed and weakened.

The advice I have heard is that storm downed trees should be used for firewood. As cheap as I am, I would probably start with small projects and see how the wood performed before it was used for critical components.

Please don't shoot the messenger!
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I have had some of my red oak go from very light, to very dark after getting wet.

Dry load (red oak with some short walnut boards in the middle)

Name:	lumberweb.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	60369

After a rain (different load of red oak with maple)

Name:	RedOakloadweb.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	60370

The short boards are maple. They seem a little pink-ish, but it may be the reflection off the oak.

Perhaps yours will dry lighter.

I am sure you are having fun in any case.

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-17-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    Living a life free of of the influence of a mythical deity.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    never seen it get that red john,, i was told to cut maple preferably in the late fall or winter to have the sap down.. also to keep the white color it needs to be kiln dried pretty quick.. in hard maple the cream color is ok but in soft maple they like the white color.. its the sugar content i believe causing your color change,, just for grins take a shaving off one board and see if its whiter underneath,, like cherry does it get dark out side but is pink under it till the sun hits it..i havnt cut much maple but my sawyer is the one that old me the maple story.. and i so i went with his directions..
    Thanks Larry for the reply. I know that you've had a bunch of lumber cut and was hoping you'd chime in with advice. I'll have to remember the advice about cutting maple. I guess for my neck of the woods it'd be a little later than for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Hey, it's that famous and hard to find red maple!!
    Maybe it's that rare Tennessee red wind blown maple. To heck with the powerball!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    I am not a sawyer, but I have heard that storm downed trees are sometimes damaged structurally. Specifically tornadoes twist trees, breaking the fibers throughout, so the boards cut from that wood are internally stressed and weakened.

The advice I have heard is that storm downed trees should be used for firewood. As cheap as I am, I would probably start with small projects and see how the wood performed before it was used for critical components.

Please don't shoot the messenger!
    Charles, I've also heard that before. Since it was free I figured what the heck I'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    I have had some of my red oak go from very light, to very dark after getting wet.

Dry load (red oak with some short walnut boards in the middle)

Name:	lumberweb.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	60369

After a rain (different load of red oak with maple)

Name:	RedOakloadweb.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	60370

The short boards are maple. They seem a little pink-ish, but it may be the reflection off the oak.

Perhaps yours will dry lighter.

I am sure you are having fun in any case.
    I did wounder if it would lighten up some when it dried. It's crazy how dark the wood is. The pictures are of two different boards. I have a couple of boards that have some sapwood. There is a slight difference in the color between the sap and heartwood.

Yes Rick, the mill has been a blast to use. Opening the logs are like Christmas. You never know what you'll get until you get inside.