Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Question?UPDATED!! 9,30,11

Dog Question?UPDATED!! 9,30,11

ok ,, "charlie" showed me last night that he doesnt have road skills
    but he sure does cover ground faster than i can..
    so for you dog owners out there how did you get your dog to come when called?
    charlie has been with 2 other families prior and the last one didnt have him coming to them.. so now i need to get him to do that, without the frisbee in my hand
    once i get him to that point then maybe he can be a free dog..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-30-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

when I was training my shepard he instinctively knew to do what he was told. Everything was an immediate response.
    The new dog is a bit more independent and can at times look me in the eyes and tell me to put my orders where the sun don't shine. He is getting much better though.

I was told to not sound angry when calling him. If the dog thinks he is in trouble chances are he is not going to come to you.
    I trained the new one on a long rope. I'd let him run around while holding the rope and pulled it and said come when I wanted him to come. I gave him a treat when he came right away. Seems to work pretty well. Mine is only free when I am outside with him. I walk him at night and in the morning on a leash though because I don't want to be running around in the dark through the woods in my bathrobe in case he chases a deer or cat.
    Like Charlie my dog has a favorite toy, he has a kong ball. He will do anything for the chance to have the ball thrown. If mine doesn't come I just show the ball and he comes right over.
    I don't let mine roam free. Too many woods to get lost in and he is not street smart either.
    Good luck!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Dog treats and lots of repetitive training should get him acting more like you want. I'd keep him on a leash with you and get him used to your voice and commands. A choker leash may be required to keep his attention. Don't expect overnight miracles, but he should come around.

Darren
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    At three years old, your work is definitely going to be cut out for you IMO.
    My dogs learn the word 'No' at an early age, I then combined it with 'too far' when I let them loose in our front yard...used it when they got close to the sidewalk. Took some work but now I can let them out while I sit in the porch without much worry. You folks with land to roam must have a hard time I'm sure...good luck!

On a side note from my archives, we taught my dads dog to stay away from the road at his acreage up north{Alpena Mi} by tying/tacking white rags around the base of the trees nearest the road...scolded him and penned him
    every time he crossed the boundary until he grasped the rules

i have noticed that he seems to respond better without using the choke collar or the pinch collar which i took off him as soon as we got home. i can get him to pay attention by just touching him with the lead for some things.. and i will try to the ball or treat idea and along lead tonight.. i do want him to get so he can roam free.. i dont think dogs would get lost, just stolen perhaps unless your a ways from home than its a different story they can smell there way home from there starting point i would think..

Don't know how but mine just know that it is always better to come to me. Than to make me come get them.
    Oh and angry voice makes them run faster in my direction.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Larry

When you find something that works, let me know. My new "shop dog" Rocco, gets out and it takes a long time to get him back.

Good luck to you
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

well we can add another problem to the mix,, he gets worried when going for a ride wants to whine and prance in the vehicle did settle down on the return trip but i dont want to have to go threw this when i am 60 plus..

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well we can add another problem to the mix,, he gets worried when going for a ride wants to whine and prance in the vehicle did settle down on the return trip but i dont want to have to go threw this when i am 60 plus..
    That will pass with the more rides he gets to go on.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

We had a dog that needed "dog Valium" whenever we went on vacation. She hated the car.

He should settle down. He's probably afraid that you are bringing him back
    The more car rides the more he will get used to it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity