Looking at a new project

Jeff Horton

I sold my sailboat to build another and then I discovered how much fun kayaks are and got into the skin boats. Long story but someone asked me about adding a sailing rig to one of my kayaks.

Well that got me to thinking about how much I enjoyed sailing and after a month of day dreaming I came up an idea for a sof trimaran. Lightweight and FAST! I don't show any sails,, haven't gotten that far yet.

Still looking and planning but this could lead to another book!

tri-concept2.jpg

tri-concept.jpg

I think we have a concept! Still lots of details to work out but I am pretty sure that this is close. Lots of details to work out but it should look like this.

Big question is the details of how to build it. :huh:

Momentum-assy-cat-ketch-1.jpg

I know a guy who builds skin on frame kayaks. I'll bet he could help you out. Heck, he even wrote the book on the subject. :thumb: :D (Which reminds me, I still need to do a book review for you.) :doh:

I know next to nothing about boats and building them, but I'm assuming one of the bigger challenges on something like a skin on frame sailboat is having enough strength where the mast(s) meets the boat. Is that the case? It seems there would be tremendous lateral stresses at that connection.

vaughn was heading in a serious direction on this one jeff. if this is a shallow draft vessel, you should look into some sort of centerboard, as you would not want your boat to sail sideways, as i found out when i took my first sailboat out, and forgot to lower the rather impressive centerboard. you would also have to have some sort of reinforcing at the foot of each mast, as well as where it enters the hull through the deck. another item is the rigging for each mast, forestays, backstays, shrouds and such, along with reinforced hardpoints for where they attach to the hull, as these keep the masts in place. you also need to take into consideration the hardpoints for the blocks for the running rigging (them's the ropes larry). one last thing on the list, you may want to reinforce the center hull. with a solid hull boat, this may not be a problem, but with a lashed frame and skin design, the center hull may be given a good twist, when coming about, or tacking, with the changing direction of the forces placed on the hull.