Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Upgrade..

A Little Upgrade..

It was about time I got my butt in gear and continue on my shop upgrade.
    This winter will have two big projects.
    A dedicated morticing station and to change my chop saw station to cherry.
    These two projects will pretty much turn the whole shop into cherry with hand cut dovetail drawers.
    I usually start with a basic idea in my head but changes or additions always seem to take place....
    My shop is already in disarray as my lumber rack has to come off the wall and be moved.

I won't bore you with the slapping the carcasses together as it is not one of my favorite things to do.
    This part I want to get through as quick as possible so I can work with solid wood...
    The cabinets won't be the big part of the project.
    I'm thinking there will be around 20 drawers. Hand cutting the dovetails will take me a bit of time.

As any project you can't have enough clamps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamped cabinet.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	60405

Did I mention I like drawers.
    Everything behind doors or in drawers.
    So....
    Five drawers in this one.

Name:	single cabinet.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	60406

And after about six sheets of cherry ply I am just about done with the carcasses for this phase.

Name:	All cabinets.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	60407

When I say just about, as I look at this pic, two more small cabinets will be added.

And now a shot of what I like to work with.
    A little bit of cherry.
    Picked this up today so I will give it 3 or 4 days to get comfortable in my shop.

Name:	cherry wood.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	60408

Then face frame duty!

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.

Last edited by Gary Zimmel; 10-01-2011 at 12:28 AM.

This is gonna be fun
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

watching with great interest

Well (with right hand to side of cheek like Jack Benny) can I come to your shop I am sure I could get comfortable right away.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Faith, Hope & Charity

Amazing!

Now Gary i would like to hear more on your thoughts on draws.

I used to think draws were a cool idea. But i am now having second thoughts. Here is why.

First up i found unless they are shallow such that only one too can lie in them the tools or "stuff" gets put on top and covers or hides the layers further down.

Then next i found i as i get more gray my memory is not remembering as well where it was i put xyz item. So often a hunt ensues that ends up taking me down the primrose path.

Finally when i saw your draws full of chisels for example the really look great and organized but it does mean going back into the draw each time you want to change to another chisel. In this particular case i like my wife made tool rolls. I can take my whole roll of chisels out lay them at the end of the bench and never have to open another draw until i put them back. An added benefit i have found is that while i work with one chisel the others are protected and dont go rolling off the edge of the bench.

Dont get me wrong i love what you got going i would like a little insight to how you work it and how you see it working out down the road as the memory thing takes root over time.

Looking at the tool chests many old school woodworkers produced the use the concept of a cupboard more with making use of the doors and custom racks and holders to display the tools. This way one opens up and most are visible and within reach but no need to do anything but lift it use it and it an go back in its place when done with ease. No need to even clutter the workbench.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Amazing!

Now Gary I would like to hear more on your thoughts on draws.

Then next I found I as I get more gray my memory is not remembering as well where it was I put xyz item. So often a hunt ensues that ends up taking me down the primrose path.

Hey Pasquinell

It's more about all the time you've spent up in the mountains & hills by your self & long hair & the coon skin cap & talking to your self & the squirrels to much. Makes you kind of nutty if you know what I mean.

Now about the drawers... I don't pretend to know much about draws but drawers I understand a little about. One thing is if your going to make a 2x the tool depth drawer put in cleats & a sliding tray. if you put sets of tools in the little tray you can lift the tray out & take the whole set over to your bench, you can even build trays to set into the single tool depth drawer if you just make thee drawer a little deeper..
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-01-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Amazing!

Now Gary i would like to hear more on your thoughts on draws.

I used to think draws were a cool idea. But i am now having second thoughts. Here is why.

First up i found unless they are shallow such that only one too can lie in them the tools or "stuff" gets put on top and covers or hides the layers further down.

Then next i found i as i get more gray my memory is not remembering as well where it was i put xyz item. So often a hunt ensues that ends up taking me down the primrose path.

Finally when i saw your draws full of chisels for example the really look great and organized but it does mean going back into the draw each time you want to change to another chisel. In this particular case i like my wife made tool rolls. I can take my whole roll of chisels out lay them at the end of the bench and never have to open another draw until i put them back. An added benefit i have found is that while i work with one chisel the others are protected and dont go rolling off the edge of the bench.

Dont get me wrong i love what you got going i would like a little insight to how you work it and how you see it working out down the road as the memory thing takes root over time.

Looking at the tool chests many old school woodworkers produced the use the concept of a cupboard more with making use of the doors and custom racks and holders to display the tools. This way one opens up and most are visible and within reach but no need to do anything but lift it use it and it an go back in its place when done with ease. No need to even clutter the workbench.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rob, upside of having lots of of drawers is nothing will be piled on top of each other.
    All of my drawers never are full depth (to the back of the cabinet) and each part of my shop is dedicated to something so all the gizmo's are pretty much in some kind of organized order. When I am doing things like dovetails the tools that I need are on my bench, or in the bench tray, and then go back after I'm finished with them.
    I'm too lazy to be going back and forth...
    With the flatwork as something comes out it will be out till the end of my session.
    After a bit it seems I know where everything is. Well most times.
    What I really need is a cabinet for pencils.
    I sure waste a ton of time looking for where I put the thing down...

A Bunch of Sticks...

Well I couldn't wait to start to machine some of this cherry.
    So with a little shop time today I got all my small pieces machined.
    I'm not to worried if the cherry is not fully acclimatized to my shop as these will be glued piece by piece to the carcasses.

A bunch of jointing and planing and we have the start.
    Some guys wonder why we need these extension tables on our saws...
    Where else are we going to our machined goods.

Name:	planed wood.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	60446

Cherry has a habit of burning.
    A sharp blade, and a freshly cleaned blade really help fight the burn marks.
    Quick pushes through out the cut and we get the result we are looking for.

Name:	cutting rails and stiles.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	60447

The odd time the cut off side gets that little nub at the end
    so a quick trip to the jointer assures me I have a straight surface again.

Name:	jointer.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	60448

Lots of sticks for all these carcasses. A few extra made. Just in case...

Name:	all rails and stiles cut.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	60450

And now to get ready to start to attach them....
    That will be my next session in the shop.

Name:	rials on cabinet.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	60449

Gary,

I have said this before---I am amazed at your cabinetry. To me making one cabinet is a major undertaking---you toss them off like M&M's and make them look beautiful and functional.

Let's put it another way---I am jealous!!! I love cabinets with shallow drawers. I put larger stuff in boxes in cupboards instead of drawers.

Enjoy and have a wonderful "build."

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 10-04-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER