(part 1 of 7)
As described in the thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=25176, my brother-in-law Jeff and I installed a set of French doors in our log cabin this July. Not wanting them to be "mother-in-law doors", I next needed to add a small porch and a way to get from the porch to the ground.
As usual, I will desriber the project using extract from my weekly journal.
2011, July 24:
My next project was to build a small porch outside the new French doors. After consultation with Jeff, I decided to build a porch of roughly this shape:
with some very wide steps at the north-west corner and a gradual ramp extending from the left side along the cabin to the east and ending at a spot about as far to the east as the existing steps into the cabin.
The first step was to remove the portion of the lower skirting board that is under the doorway. The easiest way to make the necessary cuts was with a (very sharp) chisel:
Then I had room to nail a pressure treated spruce 2x4 to the beam and to “sister” another 2x4 to the first one with some galvanized spikes:
Mum used to have a small rock-surrounded garden in a spot the will be underneath the new porch. Over the last 50 years a lot of roots have invaded the spot. I had quite a time removing all this to get down to bedrock:
I cut lengths of Sona tube with a hand saw:
Because I was on my own, I cut them slightly longer than needed. Then, I filled each tube to a spot somewhat lower than needed and concentrated on getting the tube level. Once that had dried a bit, I drilled two small holes through the tube at the desired height, stuck two small nails through the holes and filled the tube with more concrete up to the level of the nails. Once the new concrete had dried, I cut off the excess cardboard
with a jigsaw:
Here, a beam is in place on two of the posts and some joists have been installed between the new ledge on the cabin and the beam: