Going into Hospital Today

Kyle Murphy

Dear Family,

Although I have only been a member of this group less than a year and I have never posted any examples of my (future) work I truly enjoy reading the posts everyday. I have learned so much and not only about woodworking.

Today, I face a challenge. I am going into hospital for a total right knee replacement. This is voluntary and I look forward to being able to stand and walk without pain, maybe even play some golf. In the process of being evaluated for this surgery they found some coronary problems. So, a non voluntary and potentially more serious procedure has to be done before the knee surgery. If all goes well (angioplasty?) then the knee surgery is on. If not, then we go to plan B.

So, I am not sure if I have access to internet in hospital but, if not, I will ask Stu to keep you posted. Please keep me in your thoughts (and prayers--I know not - CoC). Should be no problems but whenever you are on the table and a doctor is cutting you there is always a risk.

Best of luck Kyle:thumb: you will be happy when it is done, be sure to follow the docs orders and follow through with ALL PT as it is very important. Look forward to hear from you after surgery with a great follow up report. Your new shop awaits you AFTER FULL RECOVERY:):wave:

Good luck. I hope the coronary problem turns out to be minor. My wife had both hips done (at separate times) and a friend had a knee done. All went well, although the recovery time for the knee was longer than the hip surgery.

They both said they were glad they had it done.

Generally, the docs don't push you. They tell you that you'll know when to get the surgery - when the pain in the old joint gets bad enough.

I hope all goes well for you and you're back and walking without pain soon.

Mike

Kyle, remember, when the doctor looks at you before he puts you under and he says, "have a good day" remember to look him in the eye and answer with, "NO, YOU HAVE AN EXCELLENT DAY!!!":thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Contrary to common belief, I am not Amish. In my own way on my own time on my own level I will pray for your good health and speedy recovery. With my wife's foot, I have been at a lot of physical therapy sessions and have seen many people with knee, hip, rotator surgeries being worked to improve range of motion and strength. They do wonders, do the work after. Good to know you might be AWOL and who to ask for updates. May all the King's horses and all the King's men be able to put your knee together again!!!!:eek::doh::rofl::rofl::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hope that the coronary issue is minor. Angioplasty is a lot better than bypass. I pray that it stays that diagnostic, and the knee surgery goes smoothly. I understand that the physical therapy is the key to the best outcome for the knees. So work through the pain and do the work. Will be looking for great updates in a day or 2. Jim.

Kyle, You know I am sending my bestest wishes to you. I forgot when you said you were going in, cause I wanted to chat with you before. I'll be watching for updates. Take care and do what those pretty nurses tell you.

Our visit was all too short. Looking forward to more time to chat and tell stories.

Aloha to you, Tony.

I know a lot of folks that have had the coronary procedure. They feel 20 years younger when it's over.
My wife just had total knee replacement in July and is coming along nicely.
Thought's and prayers coming your way from the Gibson household.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

When it comes time to have the knee work done, look into the option of doing some PT prior to the surgery. They have been having excellent success and faster recoveries recently when folks have gone in and pre-strengthened their muscles prior to surgery. I don't recall the details, but I'll send you a link if I can find one.