Going into Hospital Today

Hope that the coronary issue is minor. Angioplasty is a lot better than bypass. I pray that it stays that diagnostic, and the knee surgery goes smoothly. I understand that the physical therapy is the key to the best outcome for the knees. So work through the pain and do the work. Will be looking for great updates in a day or 2. Jim.

I second exactly what Jim said. My Dad has had both done. They gave him a new lease on life after they were done. He gained 2 inches in height. But post op movement and physio is essential and no pain no gain. Trust the physio even though they seem to enjoy inflicting pain, they know whats good for you.
All the best Kyle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Next week after the surgery and the initial recovery I'll be going to visit Kyle and I'll keep you all posted. He is at a VERY good hospital and I know they will take very good care of him.

Cheers!

Thoughts and prayers are headed your way. We look forward to seeing you back here after a good recovery! :thumb:

By the way, my knees are holding up so far but I had an angioplasty in 2003, then had to have bypass surgery in February, 2010. Both procedures turned out just fine and I feel better than ever now. My bypass surgery gave the doctors a scare, though. My heart stopped beating as soon as they administered anesthesia! They were going to stop it after they opened me, but my stunt changed the process. They hit me with the paddles twice to re-start my heart, then opened and did a double bypass in 29 minutes. I say this not to alarm anyone but as an example of the talent of today's doctors.

Today, I face a challenge. I am going into hospital for a total right knee replacement. This is voluntary and I look forward to being able to stand and walk without pain, maybe even play some golf. In the process of being evaluated for this surgery they found some coronary problems. So, a non voluntary and potentially more serious procedure has to be done before the knee surgery. If all goes well (angioplasty?) then the knee surgery is on. If not, then we go to plan B.

Kyle, We'll keep you in our thoughts... on the angioplasty... they're not really all that to worry about... the fact that the doctor will be running a garden hose from your groin up through your heart... no big deal.... my cardiologist took a year to talk me into having mine done... he even said he and I conversed all through it as they try to keep you awake... I remember nothing of mine... I went to the O/R, they gave me a shot of something, I asked how long before it took effect, did not hear the answer and woke up back in the room with a sand bag on my leg to keep me from moving it.... fortunately, I was 90% clear and not problems at all.... when my wife had hers, she did stay awake and talked all through it... he doctor called her "Yada Yada"... no problems there either and she has atrilfibulation since her early 20's... she's also had a total hip replacement which has been great for her as she walked on a bad hip for 5 years before Medicare kicked in.... I understand the knees are a little more difficult than the hip, but I met a man this weekend that had both done at the same time and was up and back to work in 13 weeks... said it was the greatest thing he ever did.....

Good luck and keep us updated.

Update

First, thank you all for your kind words, prayers and support. I had the angiogram on Tuesday. It was not an angioplasty. They found two blockages. Still going foward with the knee procedure in about 4 hours. I found a puplic use computer to send this.

Hopefully everything will go well. In the next week or two I will have stents put in. Then I have to wait for one year for the second knee operation (they do not do both at the same time). All in all I think the stents are more important. The left leg is not as bad as my right one.

Again, I appreciate your support and kind thoughts.

Stu wing A #714

Best wishes to all,

Kyle, heres hoping all goes well for you and your recovery time goes quick. My father has had both knees replaced. It is amazing what can be done to make our quality of life better.

Hope your "back on your feet" soon.

Kyle, you are right that they don't do both knees at the same time. My dad had a doctors appointment today regarding his knee surgery. He asked the doctor if he could get both knees done at the same time and the doctor said no. He is scheduled for the surgery next month. My mom has had both knees done and she is pleased with the results.

Kyle, We'll keep you in our thoughts... on the angioplasty... they're not really all that to worry about... the fact that the doctor will be running a garden hose from your groin up through your heart... no big deal.... my cardiologist took a year to talk me into having mine done... he even said he and I conversed all through it as they try to keep you awake... I remember nothing of mine...
Good luck and keep us updated.

I meant to write angiogram... that is the procedure I had done... mine went great and I had not problems from it at all..... as I said the doctor took a year to talk me into it and he was the head of the cardiology unit in a good sized hospital in the Houston area... one of the best in his field from what I've heard... just a little nervousness on my part....
I think the angioplasty is with the balloon to expand the artery... they did my mom and caused more problems for her, but she was in a very small hospital in Texas and probably not as much experience in the doctors and she was much older... nearly 80 when it was done, so her arteries were more fragile anyway.

I thought it strange that the guy I met said he had both knees done at the same time, but didn't contradict him... and he may have meant that he's had both done, but a different times... you know how B.S. stories can be stretched and embellished to make us look like heroes...:D:D

Kyle I hope things went well, as it is now Thursday here and you told me not to bother coming by until next week, to give you some time to recover, I'll try to come by on Monday or Tuesday, but I might show up on Sunday, just depends on how my Sunday goes :rolleyes: You are not far away at all, about 6 Km, less than four miles, from my house. Got to check the visiting hours :wave:

Cheers!