Thread: Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw

Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw

Greetings all. I have now nearly completed my fair weather work and am about to return to my shop and get back to spinning a few pieces of wood.
    Over the summer I sold my 14" Delta Band Saw and a really nice Delta shaper and am in the process of purchasing a band saw.
    Currently I am leaning toward the Laguna 14" SUV with it's 14" of resaw capability I will be able, with a sled, I hope to cut many of the smaller logs I get into bowl blanks BUT understand that the new 14" saws from Laguna are being built in China. This for me is a little scary. Has anyone out there had any experience with this saw?

Pete

Myself I'm not familiar with the new Laguna models but you may find that many of the tools available on the market today are being made in China. Even Powermatic that still says "Made in the USA" is in fact made in China. They get around this by completing "x" amount of the work here in the states that allows them to use that label.
    Anyway, my point is that Brand x has their machine made in "peoples factory 17" to their specs. Well, brand y and brand z which are considered not as high up the food chain as brand x also have their machines made in "peoples factory 17" and funny thing, same tooling with many times only a few subtle differences.
    You may consider looking at the specs on a few other brands and might be pleasantly surpised that you can get a machine that is just as good for a lot less.
    A shop I worked in a few years ago had an 18" laguna they purchased while I was there. Nice machine but other than the difference in motor sizes it didnt perform any better than my Rikon 18 if anything my Rikon was more consistant in holding a setting or maintaining drive belt tension. We were constantly fiddling with the Laguna to keep it's accuracy.

Take a look at the Rikon's and the Grizzly's you will probably have enough left over for a few accessories and blades!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Thanks for the ideas/information.

I did do a LOT of research mostly on the web and finally decided on the 14" Laguna. I compared my 14" Delta (c/w riser block) the Grizzly 17", the Rikon 16" and the Laguna 16".

The Delta I had was ok but it didn't do a good job of controlling dust and the upper blade guard did not always stay in plane when moved from the top to the bottom, and I felt it was a little underpowered at times.

I did want a saw that would allow me to cut up to 14" in height (re-saw). All four saws are made in China but the Laguna saws had much heavier wheel bearings and much heavier cast wheels.

The folks at Canadian Woodworkers were most helpful but even then there were a few issues.

I will soon do an in depth report of the purchase, assembly and operation of the new saw in my bowl Web Site Blog.

Pete
    woodbowlsandthings.com

The resaw height of the Laguna would be selling point for me, and it appears to be the only saw in that class to offer it. I'll be looking forward to seeing your report, Peter.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats Peter and do let us know how it performs.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Laguna Band Saw 14"SUV Review

Greetings all. I have set up and begun using my new band saw and have posted a Review on my web blog. If you are interested in reading my comments please visit.

http://www.woodbowlsandthings.com/page3/page3.html

Pete

nice review peter sounds like a solid saw..and a 3hp motor is plenty of power for a 14" saw
    would like a closer look at the fence you got,,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Congratulation! Nice review.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Laguna Fence

Hey larry. Which fence is it that you would like a better look at?
    I could take some photo's and email them or do a short note in one of my blogs about the Drift Master, thats the one I added and is easily adjustable for bandsaw 'draft'.

Pete

hey pete, i went to there site and got my look see nice fence and looks like it works well.. enjoy your new saw..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!