Don'tcha just love the craig's list emails

Rich Soby

I have a few tools up for sale on my local craigs list. Here is one inquiry I received yesterday. (Bear in mind this is first contact I have not had any contact with this person prior to this nor have or will I respond)
Gotta laugh.

"Okay thanks and i really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to consider it sold, Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbances from other buyers,anyway i should have come down to come and take a at it,but my schedules are so tight due to my Business transactions that makes so me busy,but you don't need to bother yourself about the inspection.
I will take care of that by engaging the services of a PICK UP AGENT for the inspection and the pick up,So I'll be sending a CERTIFIED BANK CHECK and it will be mailed and delivered to you via UPS/ FEDEX COURIER SERVICE, so I'll need you to provide me with me with the following information to facilitate the mailing out the PAYMENT asap ......

1.Full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check (UPS...do not deliver to a P.O box addresses) 3.City, State and Zip Code 4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS/FED EX NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHIPPING.... i will have my PICK UP AGENT to come over as soon as you have cashed the check*

Thanks and hope to hear from you as soon as possible.......

--

**HAPPY DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU.*
*ROY CHARMELON*
EMAIL: roycap00x@gmail.com
*"

Yeah ok Roy, Im all over it! want my social security number and date of birth as well?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep - get these all the time. I copy and paste relevant information to the CL scam page and then reply to the email letting them know I have reported them to CL and to their email provider. Don't know if that works, but it does make me feel better.:rofl:

It amazes me that people fall for these scams. Here's one a guy posted on another forum recently. He was selling a large lathe, and although he suspected something was fishy, he was still considering sending the guy his PayPal email address:

It's my pleasure to read from you as regards your advert via Craigslist. I am Kester, I'm an US Air Force Lieutenant currently stationed at San Diego on a mission, a military base and i will be delighted to offer your asking amount as you have disclosed on your above advertisement post contacts. My initials plans were to schedule time & date to come over your residence for proper inspection before the completion of this deal, though i have been buying and selling via Craigslist & due to the fact it's secured, I am scared free hence i want go ahead and finalize this transaction with you reason been that my job won't permit me to under go any further inspection due to i am Air Force Lieutenant Trainee and deployed here at the military base taking place here at San Diego for some official assignments hence why i have limited access to emails and phone's communications. I am purchasing this for my uncle in southeast Alaska, i want an adequate assurance from you as regards it's present condition described. I will appreciate more pictures if available and will be sending your money asap. My shipper will be available for pickup as soon as payment is made. Do you have paypal account? because i have a paypal account that I can easily send money through due to, its good for business payments and best online auction payment method. Get back to me with your paypal email address and name in order for me to have your money sent on time. Confirm sale to me and remove the add from posting.

That one has more red flags than a Chinese political rally. :rolleyes:

I love the flowing English. I often wonder what translation program they are using.
But to give them credit they are using a very old and proven system. It's all just numbers and they probably have it narrowed right down to how many "no's" to how many " yeses".

I worked as a sales rep for a major corporation for many years and one of the senior reps that I worked with used to say that all the time. He used to tell us we could set up a table on main st and have bags full of dog poop. and if we asked every person that walked by if they wanted to buy a bag sooner or later someone would. He further told us that if we did it long enough we would get the pattern down and know when someone was going to buy it.
We would laugh but it is just simple statistics...

Gee, that's new. Dog poop by the numbers.

I will have to admit that there were days in the military, out on some darned quadrangle, in the heat of Summer, hearing, "count off" or "give me 20 push-ups" or whatever when I thought about dog poop by the numbers.

Enjoy,

JimB

It is a tragic statement about our education system that some people will actually fall for that stuff. I suppose they are the same people who come in to "get the free laptop they won" and get arrested for the outstanding warrants they have. ;-)

Today's CL email

Thank you for your inquiry. My name is James Connolly, proudly serving the
US Army as a Field Medic at NNMC base in Maryland.
I'm selling this nice and clean Volkswagen Jetta for $2400. Don't let the
price misguide you, this car is in pristine condition, was never smoked in
and it has the 2.5L 5Cyl engine that's both powerful and economical,
Automatic transmission and 69000 miles. It's mechanically sound, properly
maintained and it's been inspected by a mechanic a few days ago with no
flaws detected. The bodywork is as new, there is no rust at all, the paint
is glossy, the lines are straight and there are no scratches. This car was
never involved in an accident. My asking price is $2400, no trades accepted.
It comes with a clean title that I already signed off and it will be
provided along with the other paperwork (owner's manual, service records and
instruction leaflets).
The car is on base with me but we can arrange so it gets to you for
inspection free of charge. I'll handle shipping with our Logistics
department, it only takes 2-4 days depending on your location and I will
cover the shipping cost.
Below you can find links to a page with technical details and a link where
you can find more pictures with this car. The pictures are relevant and
reflect it's current condition.
Specifications: http://goo.gl/2WqFB
Pictures here: http://2006volkswagenjetta25lwolfsburg.shutterfly.com/
This car is offered with a 100% Money back guarantee, if you can find
something wrong with it I will take it back and pay back each dollar.
If you're serious about purchasing and have the $2400 readily available, get
back to me.
James Connolly

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1831 / Virus Database: 2085/4542 - Release Date: 10/06/11

Anyone want a nice cheap Jetta:thumb::thumb::thumb:
What's the angle here? How is he planing on getting anything? Whats he looking to get?:huh::huh::huh:

Last edited:
Chuck, had you inquired about the Jetta, or was it just an email that just showed up out of the blue? If it is a scam, I'm not sure I see what his angle is, unless the tricks happen after you've seen the car and agreed to pay for it. (And even then, I'm not sure what those tricks might be.)