Another Box

Ron Roase

You may get tiered of my boxes, but they are all just a bit different and also a new method of construction. There are a lot of different ways to make box joints ..... This is one I had never tried before. Takeing a scrap piece of stock about 3/4" thick 4" wide and about 12" long. This will be clamped to my miter gauge. First I cut a kurf in a scrap piece, then takeing out my twist drill box, I selected a bit that fit the saw kurf exactly. It happened to be 9/64th" Then that 12 " piece. I took that drill bit and rilled a hole through it about 3" from the end and about 1/4" up from the bottom. Then took that bit and tapped it through the 12" piece so only the shaft was exposed. (this will now be my Pin to guide each cut. Now I just clamp that 12" piece onto my miter gauge with the pin 9/64th" away from the saw blade. Simple and easy and very accurate for narrow finger joints. A 1/4" dowel works for a stop pin to keep the top from going to far in either direction. Could be used in many applications for small pieces.:D:thumb::rofl:

Slider Box Side view.JPG

Slider Box.JPG

Slider Box open.JPG

Thanks for the tip Ron! :thumb:

That's one of the things that has always kept me from even trying to make a box joint jig. The instructions always seem to gloss over how to actually make that perfect-width key piece.

As for the other things that have kept me from trying ... well, I guess I'm just lazy. :doh:

Sorry Kerry,

I have seen no indication that you are lazy.

Ron,

That is a really neat box. The woods and the contrast are an excellent choice.
What are the woods?

I'm new enough to ww that I only recognize a few woods and I don't always do that right.

Enjoy,

JimB

Sorry Kerry,

I have seen no indication that you are lazy.

I could agree ... if you would count time on FWW (and other forums) and reading several woodworking magazines as shop time. :rofl:

But when you add up
number of years I've wanted to make flatwork boxes
+ number of books I've purchased on making flatwork boxes
+ equipment in my shop that could help me make flatwork boxes​
and arrive at a sum of
ZERO flatwork boxes
... well, what's a man to think? :dunno:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I think I can answer my own question. He's supposed to think:
Kick yourself downstairs and make a flatwork box, you lazy varmint!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ron - you're my hero! :thumb:

Jim: It's just clear pine and a piece of redwood fence board with some Red Mahogany stain on it with a clear coat of deft spray and some wax. The pine has some stain I had lieing around the shop (a yellow cast to it) same for the stop pin. :D:thumb:

Ron, thanks for the tip! Man that sounds like something I might be able to remember and actually duplicate! The box is outstanding!:thumb::thumb: I was wondering about another stop pin to keep it from sliding open.:huh: