A couple more boxes,

Jeepers. If I just get a nice rectangular box I think I am great. Your swirled, round ones are wonderful.

It sure must be nice to have such talent. I'm 87 Dec. 31st 2011. I don't have enough productive time left (I figure 13-14 years) to get that good. I think Glenn should have interested me in woodworking about 25 years sooner.

Enjoy,

JimB

Your swirl lids always amaze me, Chas, and this new batch is no exception. I know how you do it, I just don't know how you do it. :D

Chas those are excellent. Darn good photos too. They appear real enough to want to touch them.

Those are definitely winners great mix of wood. Cant say enough about them. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Went back and had another look i really like the walnut beech ones. Is the top and bottom ring not cherry or is that also beech? Lovely contrast and i like that dark fleck in the beech. Is that sap pores?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, have four more in the system awaiting lid fitting, could be a couple of days before the boss allows me enough shop time to finish them.

How do you get the pieces shaped for the swirl effect? Do you use a template and route them to shape?
No Darren, Bandsaw and sanded to contour using jigs.

... I really like the way the bead around the lid sets it off.
Really came about as a matter of convenience Rick as a way to ease the fitting of the lids, firm location without the problems of too tight-too lose and curves give a degree flexibility in shaping.

... Is the top and bottom ring not cherry or is that also beech? ..
Rob, the top and bottom are indeed Steamed Beech, which is the reason I think for the pink tint.

Chas,
Love the boxes... I have to try one or two soon... also love the segmenting... also something I have to try very soon.... my show season is about over and I can just play during the winter some, so may give a few a go.... great pieces.

.....It must take you forever to make one.
Obviously not as quick a job as just slapping a lump of wood on the lathe and spinning away.

Whenever I can I do these in batches so that wood sorting, segment cutting, gluing, rough turning, which includes chuck changes etc. are carried out in as economical a timescale as possible.

Attached are four Box Bodies that were finished turned in about 3 hrs earlier this week, paired with the blanks for the lids which with luck will be turned one after another in a similar session and likewise the knobs to complete, thus avoiding chuck and tooling changes.

Attachments

• DSCN2993 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2993 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 12