Looking for real world info on a particular laptop...

Jim O'Dell

Well, I've decided I need a laptop for when I'm in for surgery at the end of Nov. And instead of taking my old computer and putting it in the shop, I'll use the laptop when needed out there. That will free up my old computer to give to my parents if they want it. Would make conversing with them easier to do on a daily basis if it is worth it to them to get the internet added on to their cable bill. If their big screen TV has an HDMI input, and I think it does, I could route the output to it so Dad could read, that is if I can find a video card to fit this monster with HDMI output!!

Anyway, lots of rambling. The laptop I'm interested in is the HP Probook 4530s. I3 CPU, 320 GB-7200 rpm HD, 15.6" screen with Win 7 Pro 32 bit, but I verified on the phone today that they will send a 64 bit recovery disc at no charge. I've looked at a Lenovo with all the same stuff, but after reading a lot of reviews, I'm leaning toware the HP. Anyone have one? If so, which model, how do you like it, what would you do differently? All the other laptops I've looked at had Win 7 Home Premium. I have too many old programs not to have the Pro version, and I want more than 4 gigs of memory. Thanks for any info you have to offer! Jim.
Thanks! Jim.

Last edited:
Sorry Jim i cannot help. My son just recently bought a good deal from Newegg on a laptop and when i tried to find the Asus model it seems they dont have it listed.

What sort of budget you looking at for this model.?

Rob, the one I'm looking at is 475.00. My biggest requirement is it needs to be Win 7 Pro, not the Home Premium that most are shipped with. All of my programs are older and won't work on the regular Win 7 OS. Jim.

I can't help either.. just what you need right?.. lots of guys with no help... my wife just bought a used HP laptop from a friend of hers... I'm not sure of the model, but it's near the size of what you're looking at... problem with hers is it's loaded with Vista and I'm not all that familiar with Vista to help her when she gets stuck... she loves her computer, but is totally clueless about how and why it works... she gets very frustrated when it doesn't do what she wants... otherwise, she loves the lap top. She gave up an eMachine and her big 20" Acer monitor to use the laptop.... I got the monitor to replace my little 13" Dell, but stored the PC for future use.

Chuck, this has been a year for computer upgrades for me. My 19" CRT died about 2 years ago and I've been using a 15" Dell hand me down ever since. I bought a 24" Asus at the end of my desktop rebuild this spring. Liked it so much I bought my wife one this summer to replace her 10 yo Mitsubishi 17" CRT...out of my shop tool fund!!! :doh: That was the OSS I've been wanting! :p
So now I'm buying another computer and still won't get the OSS this year. If I had known about the surgery last spring, I would have gotten a nicer laptop, and a monitor and used it as my main computer. Killed two needs with one stone. Hindsight....:rolleyes:
Jeb, thanks for the report on the HP. Good to hear it is doing well.
One thing I heard from my thread on another forum is there is rumblings that HP is going to drop out of the computer market. I'm thinking they will sell off their business, as they have a really good name in the industry and should be worth some money, if the rumor is even true. Thanks for the info so far! Jim.

Their previous CEO said they were going to drop out of the personal computer market, similar to what IBM did years ago. Since then their stock has dropped by nearly 50% before the market crashed again, they fired the CEO and hired a new one. I haven't heard anything about plans now since all that changed though.

I became a Dell employee a couple years ago when they bought the company I worked for. This morning Michael himself participated in an All Hands call for that division. He mentioned HP, saying that with the recent leadership changes HP they could end up staying in the PC market ... but either way, they caused themselves a lot of damage in the marketplace.

Dell - the company - quickly mounted a campaign to try to cash in on the confusion. We'll see....

Well, I got a 10.00 code for Newegg and went ahead and ordered the laptop last night. Now if HP will follow through on the free 64 bit restore discs they said they will do, I'll be in good shape. In a couple weeks I can order the upgrade memory and get this thing all set up.
It has the fingerprint technology, so LOML and I can have our own set ups. I'll revisit this thread and post a review once I have spent some time with it. Jim.