4 poster bed Project

That's looking great, Bryan. Are you using a duplicator on these spindles, or are you just a natural woodturning copy machine? :thumb:

That's looking great, Bryan. Are you using a duplicator on these spindles, or are you just a natural woodturning copy machine? :thumb:
I use a Vega copier. I hand draw the shape on paper for this bed post, then that gets glued to a 1/4" ply, bandsaw out, sand the profile. 3 templates for this bed post, which is 56" high. I have also downloaded a table leg I liked, printed it out and used as a pattern , as in the wife's kitchen island. Before 2003, I hand turned bed posts on at least 4 beds. In 2003 , we had a house built, railings cost was $2600 , so I did them myself, using the $2600 back from the builder to purchase the wood and the Vega to do the ballusters and newels. That allowed us to have larger ballusters, newels and hand rails in the new house. I like the speed and accuracy of the Vega.:thumb:
IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3971-2.JPG

Bed has been a finishing nightmare:eek: The stain didn't go on the way I wanted. The last coat was put on like paint, not wiped off, to try and darken it. But a few days later, it was still tacky, so wiped it down with spirits. Bed wouldn't take any type stain, It would just sit on top. I let it dry 2 days, then added some brown stain to lacquer to try and even out the light and dark areas. Tomorrow I will sand and top coat with gloss lacquer.
IMG_5038.JPG
color after wiping with mineral spirits.
IMG_5040-1.JPG
looking better:)