RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2011

I'm sorry to see him go. He contributed quite a bit to the world. And while 56 is young, he packed a lot of living in those years - he built Apple into what it is today (actually, he built Apple twice) and made a lot of money.

I'll bet if you had offered him the choice of living to a ripe old age but not achieving what he did, or dying at 56 but with his achievements, he would have chosen to die at 56.

Mike

A man who changed the world....

True, that.

I read an interesting article about him a while back that talked not about his successes, but his failures: The Lisa, the Newton, NeXT Computers, and several other endeavors that never took hold. Part of what made Steve Jobs so great was his willingness to take chances, and his ability to recover after failures.

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on." - Steve Jobs

No truer words...:wave:

I may not have many of his products, but his vision definitely pushed the bar and provided the competition that drove the whole industry. A rising tide raises all ships, as they say.

He will be missed.

I prefer the MacOS, his vision indeed has had a huge and lasting effect on the world as we know it. Technically Xerox invented the GUI (graphic User interface), but until the Lisa and then the first Macs, no one took it seriously. Once the Mac showed it could be done, then Windows was born.
RIP indeed, and Thank you Steve for all that you did in your too short a time with us.

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on." - Steve Jobs

No truer words...:wave:

I agree with those words 1000% .

Very sad day he was quiet an inspiration to me and i bet many many more.

Guys like this show what can be done.

Some of you might want to watch this talk Steve gave in 2005 at Standford. Then you get more insight into his outlook and a hint to the fact that he probably knew the day was coming, but he did not waste any time between then and now if yoou think of what has happened in Apple since then.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

Uncanny how this happens so close after the latest iPhone announcement.:(

WOW!

I checked my FB this morning. There was a post from my brother who is a HUGE "Apple guy". This is all it was...

298038_10150471694850278_560655277_11011663_1552644411_n.jpg

I didn't understand it until now.

Technically Xerox invented the GUI (graphic User interface), but until the Lisa and then the first Macs, no one took it seriously.

one of the funniest things about that, i heard from a xerox ce. this was back when apple was suing microsoft over the alleged theft of the gui. he said that when xerox reminded apple where they stole it from (it was a disgruntled xerox employee who brought it to apple), that they quietly dropped the lawsuit. the ce said that the gui was set up in house for the ce's use only, for running diagnostics on high end laser printers, and not meant for use by the general public. sorry to see him go so young.