Delta Planer - DELTA 22-795X 15-inch\ 3 HP

Doug DeVore

Sometimes the too good to be true are really true.

I toasted my Delta 22-580 lunchbox planer about a week ago (7 years old) and needed to find another one as I have some projects due. I had my mind set on a larger 3hp model such as a grizzly or a jet when the time came, but timing was terrible right now. Wife and I have been paying out the noise lately on anything and everything (repairs, taxes, kids, etc.). I was going to feel pretty guilty even pulling the trigger on another portable one...that was until I found a 3HP delta for $575 new in the box!

These guys buy over stock\pallet stuff. I think they had 5-6 more after I picked up mine today. I had to drive a 100 miles, but I think it was worth it. The catch is - its the power head only; there is no stand. They are still on the metal shipping pallets from Delta.

http://bbswholesale.com/DELTA-22-795X-15-inch-Planer-Head-Only-P2011818.aspx

Give them a call. Ask for Chris.

Here is mine....2 hours out of the box.

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 108
I hope to have it fired up tonight. I've got to pick up a few things to wire the outlet for this machine today.

It was everything me and my buddy could do to put this thing on the bench. It's a monster. It's gotta weigh around 350 or so. Really looking forward to getting it fried up.

Doug

I've got that planer, on the metal stand, and it's a beast! It weighs around 400+ pounds, which makes it very solid, and it sure doesn't lack for power. It's a big step up from the lunch box variety.

I bit the bullet a few years back and installed an Esta blade set in mine. It was expensive at the time, but has pretty much paid for itself after a few blade changes.

A couple tips: 1. Pay attention to the height of the infeed and outfeed. If they're too low you'll get a lot of snipe. If you decide to keep it on the table, like you've pictured, a couple rollers on each end will be all you'll need.

2. For very shallow cuts, a lunch box planer is actually better. The Delta has a serrated metal feed roller (not rubber like in the lunch boxes) and can actually leave grooved indents in the top surface of the stock if the cut is too shallow.

That planer has been on the market for quite a while, and it's pretty much bulletproof. It'll take pretty much any reasonable job you throw at it. If you look at the TaiChi models, you'll find that nearly all of them were pirated from this design. That kinda says something about the original's reputation.

I hope to have it fired up tonight. I've got to pick up a few things to wire the outlet for this machine today.

It was everything me and my buddy could do to put this thing on the bench. It's a monster. It's gotta weigh around 350 or so. Really looking forward to getting it fried up.

Doug

Looks like quite a chunk of ham you have there I hope you get it fried up fit to go with the potatoes & eggs...or at least get it on a stand & set up fit to plane some wood. Congratulations.

I've got that planer, on the metal stand, and it's a beast! It weighs around 400+ pounds, which makes it very solid, and it sure doesn't lack for power. It's a big step up from the lunch box variety.

I bit the bullet a few years back and installed an Esta blade set in mine. It was expensive at the time, but has pretty much paid for itself after a few blade changes.

A couple tips: 1. Pay attention to the height of the infeed and outfeed. If they're too low you'll get a lot of snipe. If you decide to keep it on the table, like you've pictured, a couple rollers on each end will be all you'll need.

2. For very shallow cuts, a lunch box planer is actually better. The Delta has a serrated metal feed roller (not rubber like in the lunch boxes) and can actually leave grooved indents in the top surface of the stock if the cut is too shallow.

That planer has been on the market for quite a while, and it's pretty much bulletproof. It'll take pretty much any reasonable job you throw at it. If you look at the TaiChi models, you'll find that nearly all of them were pirated from this design. That kinda says something about the original's reputation.
What Jim said.
I have a Grizzly it just has the motor mounted underneath instead of on top but same tech. Old, established and proven! It will take pretty much anything you throw at it and give you a real nice finished piece!
Congratz on the deal that's a great find!!

I ran about 40-50 bdft through this machine this weekend and all I have to say is WOW!!

For those who are on the fence about upgrading to a larger planer, there is a huge difference. Compared to my old portable planer (Delta 22-580) this thing runs circles around it. Bigger bite, faster feed rates. It was not uncommon to spend two hours planning wood for a project. With this, I was done in 20 minutes!

So far pretty happy with my purchase.

Looking at this planer now. Are you happy with it. Can't find out much on the internet about it. Selling now from Amazon for 1600. Willing to pay for quality. Read somewhere that Delta has discontinued this model. Any thoughts or comments?

Hello Mr. Webber. Welcome to the forum.

Yes I am still very pleased with this purchase. I am not sure I would pay $1600 for it, but I do know it works great. Personally, I am not sure I would be able to tell much of a difference between this delta and a comparable jet or grizzly machine.