Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Band saw issue

Grizzly Band saw issue

I have the G1019z with the riser kit. Never had an issue with the unit before, but yesterday I was cutting up some oak and I heard a loud snap and the unit stopped.

The lower wheel axle snapped in half. My question is was this something I caused with too much tension? Or has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

Thanks
    Last edited by Dom DiCara; 10-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Wow first i have ever heard this happen. Sorry to hear this. I dont know the answer but will be looking to see what others say.
    cheers

Dom,

Sorry to hear about this incident - pleased you weren't hurt. How are you adjusting the blade tension. The best way seems to be the 'flutter' method.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Dom,

Sorry to hear about this incident - pleased you weren't hurt. How are you adjusting the blade tension. The best way seems to be the 'flutter' method.
    Bill...that was how I have always done it.....no issues with being hurt thank god, but it scared the bejesus out of me!

Grizzly said it has not been an issue.....new part 23 bucks and I figured I better order the bearing it sits in in case that was what froze up on me.

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

That model has been discontinued. How old is the saw?
    Glad you could get the part.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

you probably had to much horse power hooked up to it dom ,, you arent like tim allen from the tool time show from a few years back are you glad you could get part..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Blade tensioning probably wasn't your problem. It was likely a defective part from the beginning - a hairline crack just took a while to finally open up and give way.

With most 14" saws, the first part to go due to over-tensioning is the pot metal bracket that holds the top wheel's axle. It's pretty much the weak link in the system.

You were smart to order the new bearing along with the shaft. The old bearing likely wouldn't have outlasted the new shaft anyway, so this way you'll only need to disassemble thing once.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That model has been discontinued. How old is the saw?
    Glad you could get the part.
    The year 2001 according to the company

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    you probably had to much horse power hooked up to it dom ,, you arent like tim allen from the tool time show from a few years back are you glad you could get part..
    Are you saying that I should take off the Bilford Turbo charger I installed?

Dom,

I am so sorry for your problem. Maybe it was one of those freeway snipers and he got a shot at your machine.

I know, lousy humor!

I am glad that you were not hurt in any way except financial.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER